Hillsdale , a S. county of Michigan, bounded S. by Ohio, and touching the N. E. extremity of Indiana; area, 555 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 31,084. It is drained by the head waters of St. Joseph's river of Lake Michigan, St. Joseph's of the Maumee, the Kalamazoo, and Grand river. It has an undulating surface, heavily timbered in the south, and supporting elsewhere a thin growth of oak and hickory. The soil is a rich sandy loam. Iron ore and fine sandstone are found. It is intersected by the Michigan Southern, the Fort Wayne, Jackson, and Saginaw, and the Detroit, Hillsdale, and Indiana railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 531,839 bushels of wheat, 879,-032 of Indian corn, 271,732 of oats, 294,304 of potatoes, 385,051 lbs. of wool, 866,352 of butter, 35,891 of cheese, and 43,807 tons of hay. There were 8,990 horses, 10,567 milch cows, 11,303 other cattle, 89,457 sheep, and 17,492 swine; 8 manufactories of agricultural implements, 15 of carriages, 2 of cheese, 5 of furniture, 5 of iron castings, 3 of tombstones, 8 of saddlery and harness, 7 of sash, doors, and blinds, 1 of woollen goods, 8 flour mills, and 16 saw mills.
Hillsdale , a city and the capital of Hillsdale co., Michigan, at the intersection of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, and the Detroit, Hillsdale, and Indiana railroads, 55 m. S. of Lansing, and 85 m. W. by S. of Detroit; pop. in 1800, 2,177; in 1870, 3,518. It is surrounded by a fine agricultural region, and has an important trade in grain. It contains a chair factory, employing about 300 men, 3 flouring mills, 2 founderies and machine shops, 2 national banks, and 4 hotels. The city is the seat of Hillsdale college, an institution under the control of the Free-Will Baptists. It was originally established at Spring Arbor by a vote of the Michigan yearly meeting in 1844, and was chartered as Michigan Central college in the following year. It was removed to Hillsdale and received a new charter under its present name in 1855. The college building, a handsome brick structure four stories high, was partially destroyed by fire on March 0, 1874, and a new one is in course of erection. The grounds are spacious and well laid out. The college embraces seven departments, viz.: classical, scientific, classical preparatory, general preparatory, theological, music, art. The faculty consists of the president, 7 professors, • and 14 instructors and tutors.
The whole number of students in 1872-'3 was 606, of whom 391 were male and 215 female. Of this number there were 49 in the classical department, of whom 7 graduated; 175 in the scientific, of whom 20 graduated; classical preparatory, 33; general preparatory, 240; theological, 13; music, 73; art, 26. The library contains about 4,000 volumes. Hillsdale has 13 public schools, including a high school, 3 weekly newspapers, and 6 churches. It was settled in 1832, and incorporated in 1869.