James Marion Sims, an American surgeon, born in Lancaster district, S. C, Jan. 25, 1813. He graduated at the South Carolina college in 1832, and studied medicine in Charleston and at the Jefferson medical college, Philadelphia. In 1836 he settled at Montgomery, Ala., and soon became widely known as a skilful operator in general surgery. About 1845 his attention was directed to the treatment of vesi-co-vaginal fistula, hitherto deemed incurable, and he established for the diseases peculiar to women a private hospital, which he supported for four years at his own expense. A protracted series of experiments were crowned with success by the substitution of sutures of silver wire for silken and other sutures, and he afterward extended the use of metallic sutures into every department of general surgery. In 1853 he removed to New York, where through his efforts a temporary and afterward a permanent woman's hospital was established under his charge. In 1861 and 1864 Dr. Sims visited Europe, and in 1870 he organized in Paris the Anglo-American ambulance corps.

He has published " Silver Sutures in Surgery" (8vo, New York, 1858) and " Clinical Notes on Uterine Surgery" (London and New York, 1866; translated into French and German).