John Rogers, an English clergyman, born about 1500, burned at Smithfield, Feb. 4, 1555. He was educated at Cambridge, entered into holy orders there, and was chaplain to the English factory at Antwerp for several years. There he became acquainted with Tyndale and Coverdale, and from the manuscripts of the former, the published version of the latter, and his own researches, he compiled a complete edition of the Bible in English. The elaborate marginal notes and index are entirely his work. It was published in folio in 1537 under the assumed name of Thomas Matthew. From Antwerp he went to Wittenberg, where he was pastor of a Dutch congregation. On the accession of Edward VI. Bishop Ridley invited him home, and made him prebendary and divinity reader of St. Paul's. On the Sunday after the triumphal entry of Queen Mary into London, in August, 1553, Rogers preached a sermon at St. Paul's cross, in which he exhorted the people to adhere to the doctrine taught in King Edward's days, and to resist the forms and dogmas of Catholicism. He was summoned before the privy council for this, but defended himself ably, and was released.
On Aug. 18, however, he was ordered to remain a prisoner in his own house, and at the end of six months was removed to Newgate. He was tried in January, 1555, before Gardiner, bishop of Winchester, and condemned to be burned. He was the author of several theological works.
John Rogers, an American sculptor, born in Salem, Mass., Oct. 30, 1829. He was for two years a merchant's clerk in Boston, and after a voyage to Spain for his health entered in 1848 a machine shop in Manchester, N. H., where he remained seven years. In 1856 he took charge of a railroad machine shop in Hannibal, Mo., in 1857 visited Paris and Rome, and then became a draughtsman in Chicago. He there modelled a group called "The Checker Players," and another called "The Slave Auction," exhibited in New York in 1860. Opening a studio in New York, he became famous for small groups illustrating the civil war and common life, executed in a brownish gray composition. Among the best known of these groups are: "The Picket Guard" (1861); "The Returned Volunteer," "The Wounded Scout," and "Union Refugees" (1864); "Taking the Oath," "The Charity Patient," and "Uncle Ned's School" (1866); "The Council of War" and "Courtship in Sleepy Hollow" (1868); "The Fugitive's Story" (1869); "Coming to the Parson" (1870); a series illustrating the story of Rip Van Winkle (1871); and "The Favored Scholar" (1872). He has more recently modelled some larger statues for garden and lawn decoration, executed in artificial stone, and has also made some anatomical studies of the horse, for the use of art students.