Maynooth, a market town of Ireland, county Kildare, on the Royal canal, 15 m. W. N. W. of Dublin; pop. in 1871, 2,091. It has a ruined castle built in 1426 by John Fitzgerald, earl of Kildare,- and is the seat of the royal college of St. Patrick, founded in 1795 by act of the Irish parliament for the education of Roman Catholics for the priesthood. About £8,000 was voted annually for its maintenance from 1808 to 1845, when £30,000 was appropriated to repair and erect buildings, and the annual grant was raised to £26,360. By the Irish church act, July 26, 1869, this grant ceased after Jan. 1, 1871, and a compensation of £372,331 was voted. The college has an income of £460 per annum from the Dunboyne estates in the county of Meath. By the act 8 and 9 Victoria, cap. 25, the institution was placed on a new foundation, and endowed for the support and education of 500 students, and of 20 senior scholars on the Dunboyne foundation. Allowances are made to 250 members of the three higher classes and to the 20 Dunboyne scholars. Candidates over 16 years of; age and intended for the priesthood in Ireland, are admitted on the recommendation of their bishops, and no others can be received.
The faculty consists of a president, vice president, four'deans, a prefect of the Dunboyne establishment, who is also librarian, a bursar, four professors of moral and dogmatic theology, and one professor of each of the following branches: natural philosophy; sacred Scripture and Hebrew; ecclesiastical history; logic, metaphysics, and ethics; rhetoric and belles-lettres; humanity; English rhetoric and French; and the Irish language.
St. Patrick's College, Maynooth.