Meriden, a town and city of New Haven co., Connecticut, on the New York, New Haven, and Hartford railroad, 18 m. N. E. of New Haven; pop. in 1850, 3,55!); in I860, 7,426; in 1870, 10,495. The city is handsomely situated and well laid out, and has gas and water works and a paid lire department. There are three post offices, Meriden, South Meriden, and Ue.st Meriden. Its manufactories employ a capital of about $5,650,000, and produce goods to the value of $7,500,000. The principal productions are iron castings, rolled brass, manufactures of iron, steel, brass, bronze, and tin (including machinery and cutlery), woollens, carriages, cement pipe, and britannia and electro-plated silver ware, the Meriden britannia company being the largest of its kind in the world. Meriden contains the state reform school for boys, 3 national banks, 2 savings banks, 33 public schools, 3 daily and 4 weekly newspapers, and 12 churches. It was incorporated as a town in 1806, and as a city in 1867.