Mohegans, Or Mohicans, an Algonquin tribe, found by the Dutch holding both sides of the Hudson river for about 75 m. They received the Dutch amicably, and gave them lands on which they erected Fort Orange (Albany). They were then at war with the Mohawks, and erected a fort opposite the Dutch. The commandant of Fort Orange, Krieckebeck, accompanied them on an expedition against the Mohawks, hut was defeated and killed. In 1628 the Mohegans, attacked by the Mohawks, fled to the Connecticut river. A part of the nation had gone eastward some years before and settled on the Thames, where they were generally known as Pequots, of whom Sassacus was chief; but some of them who seceded under Tineas were called Mohegans. In the war of the English against the Pequots, these Mohegans aided the colonists. The Mohegans of the Hudson, or River Indians, gradually returned to that river. They kept up an occasional intercourse with the French from an early period through the Algonquin tribes in Canada, and are known in French annals as Loups or Wolves, that being the meaning of Mohegan. When the English about 1690 began the great struggle against the French, the Mohegans as a body made peace with the Mohawks, and joined the English with war parties.

By 1700 they were reduced to 200 warriors, and the Connecticut Mohegans to 150, 100 of whom were in the service of the colony. In 1736 Sargcant collected some of the latter at Stockbridge, and from 1740 to 1744 the Moravians maintained a Mohegan mission at Shekomcko, in Dutchess co., N. Y., which led some of the Mohegans to remove to the Susquehanna, where they became a distinct element in the Moravian towns. During the revolution the Mohegans joined the Americans, and figured at Bunker Hill, White Plains, and Barren Hill. After the war Samson Occum, an educated Mohegan clergyman, and David Fowler gathered several Indians, chiefly Mohegan and Long Island Indians, who emigrated to Oneida in 1788, and became known as the Brotherton Indians. Those who remained in Connecticut had dwindled in 1842 to 60 or 70. Between 1820 and 1830 the Stockbridge Indians emigrated from Oneida to Green hay; the Brotherton Indians also removed to Wisconsin, where they finally abandoned their tribal relation, and in 1839 became citizens, as did many of the Stockbridges. The remainder of the latter band of Mohegans are with some Munsees on a reservation at Red Springs, numbering about 100. They have almost entirely given up their own language for English. For their language see "Observations on the Language of the Muhhekancew Indians," by Jonathan Edwards (New Haven, 1788).