Louvain (Loo-vang; Ger. Lowen, Flemish Leu-veri), a city in the Belgian province of Brabant, 19 miles by rail E. of Brussels. In the 14th century it was rich, prosperous, and large (200,000 inhabitants), due to its cloth manufactures and its position as the capital of Brabant (from 994). In 1382 the townsmen revolted against their rulers, and the harsh punishment meted out to them drove large numbers away to England. The town was the seat of a celebrated university (1426-1797), with 6000 students in the 16th century. Reconstituted in 1817, it is still a Roman Catholic university, with about 1600 students, and a library of 250,000 volumes. A severe blow was struck at Louvain's prosperity by the plague in the 16th century. The modern industry is confined chiefly to bell-founding, brewing, and the manufacture of leather, paper, lace, starch, and chemicals. The town-house is a fine Gothic building (1448-69); the church of St Peter has a beautiful flamboyant rood-loft, a wrought-iron chandelier by Quentin Matsys, and some good pictures; in St Gertrude's Church are exquisite carved oak stalls. The Weavers' Hall (1317) was appropriated by the university in 1679. Pop. (1877) 33,917 ; (1900) 42,308.