Office: Lonsdale Chambers, 27, Chancery Lane, W.c.
The Objects of the School - A Hospital for Women - The Difficulties of Caste - India's One Hundred and Fifty Million Women - Training of Native Midwives in Part 11 of Every Woman's Encyclopaedia (page 1395) some account was given of the terrible need amongst Indian women for skilled medical attendance and of the great difficulty often experienced in obtaining it. How to help more than a few hundreds of India's 150 million women was for a long time an unsolved problem in the mission field, but the solution now appears to be within sight.
The Need for Native Doctors
In 1893 a conference was arranged in Ludhiana, Punjab, by women medical missionaries representing seven missionary societies of various religious denominations. Their unanimous opinion on the subject was that the only way adequately to supply the deficiency would be to train native women as doctors, dispensers, and nurses. Not only would their ministrations be more acceptable in the majority of cases than those of foreigners, but there would be none of the initial difficulties under which the English missionary labours of mastering a strange language and becoming accustomed to a climate unsuited to Western constitutions. (The necessity of spending some months in the hills, which is imperative for Europeans, is, of course, not needful for natives.) It was felt that if a scheme could be formulated and an organisation set on foot, the supply of students would probably be well-nigh inexhaustible.
As a result of the conference, the North India School of Medicine was established at Ludhiana in 1894, in conjunction with a hospital which now contains one hundred beds. The school is governed by a committee in India, having as its members representatives of different missionary societies and churches.
These include the American Episcopal Methodist Mission, the Canadian Missions, the Church Missionary Society, the Church of England Zenana Society, the Zenana Bible and Medical Mission, the American United Presbyterians, the Church of Scotland, and the United Free Church of Scotland, also members of the Indian Medical Service and the Indian Civil Service.
The school was founded by its present principal, Dr. Edith Brown, and it is to her remarkable organising capacity and wonderful medical and surgical skill that it chiefly owes its marvellous success.
Every society sharing in the financial support of the school to the extent of £50 has the right to appoint a representative on the committee. The committee is a registered company, with power to hold property and to receive funds.
The school is recognised as a medical school by the Government of India, and the students are admitted to the medical examinations held yearly in Lahore on the same terms as men. Certificated students receive the title of sub-assistant surgeon. The Lahore University has expressed its readiness to consider the question of the affiliation of the medical school to the Punjab University when it has a teaching staff of eight professors and the necessary laboratories.
Curriculum Of The School Course of Study for Medical Students
First and Second Years: Anatomy, practical anatomy, materia medica, pharmacy,
A group of orphan children in the hospital of the North India School of Medicine at Ludhiana. This beneficent work is the outcome of a conference of women medical missionaries, representing seven missionary societies of various denominations. The good effects of its work are incalculable physiology, chemistry, minor surgery, bandaging, out-patient work.
Third and Fourth Years: Pathology, medicine, surgery, forensic medicine and toxicology, gynaecology, midwifery, diseases or the eye and ear. Also eight months' surgical and eight months' medical inpatient posts and out-patient work, together with the administration of at least ten cases of anaesthetics and the conduct of at least twenty-five cases of midwifery.
At the end of the fourth year an examination is held in these subjects by examiners appointed by the committee, and successful students receive a certificate of qualifica-lion from the N.i.s.m.c.w. Students also present themselves for the examination for sub-assistant surgeons, held in Lahore.
Clinical instruction is given regularly at the Memorial Hospital.
First Year: Elementary anatomy, elementary physiology, chemistry, materia medica. bandaging, minor surgery, and practical lessons in compounding.
Second Year: Hygiene, toxicology, antiseptics, and anaesthetics, with the administration of at least six cases, the care of instruments, practical work in the dispensary. At the end of the second year, students take an examination given by the school in the above subjects, and successful students become certified compounders of the N.i.s.m.c.w. Students entering this course may, if over eighteen years, study midwifery, and can go up for the Government midwifery examination held in Lahore in March.
The Punjab Government makes capitation grants for the students amounting to about Rs.400 a month. A yearly grant is given to the hospital of Rs.2,500. A recommendation for an increased yearly grant of Rs.6,000 towards the expenses of the staff is now under consideration.
Rs.25,000 was given for enlarging the hospital, and Rs. 11,000 for teaching apparatus.
The local government of the town has also been most generous. A grant of Rs.3,000 was given to enlarge the dispensary. A monthly grant of Rs.140 is given to the hospital, and a yearly one of Rs. 150 for the dais (midwives).