Randolph Macon College, an institution of learning at Ashland, Hanover co., Va., 16 m. N. of Richmond, on the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac railroad. It was founded by a resolution of the Virginia conference of the Methodist Episcopal church in 1827, the charter was obtained in 1830, and the college began work in Mecklenburg co., Va.,.near the North Carolina border, in 1832. In 1852 an endowment of $100,000 was secured, but this was lost for the most part during the civil war. In 1866 the college was removed to its present site. The course of study is distributed into separate schools, of Latin, Greek, English, etc, the principal schools being arranged in four courses of one year each. Degrees are conferred for graduation in each school; for graduation in a certain number of schools the degree of B. S. or A. B. is given, and for graduation with distinction that of A. M. There is a school of Biblical literature and oriental languages for students preparing for the ministry, to whom instruction in all the schools is free. A diploma is conferred for graduation in Biblical literature.
In 1875 the college had 10 professors and tutors and 235 students.