A N. W. Province Of Spain, in Old Castile (by some included in the kingdom of Leon), bordering on Leon, Palencia, Burgos, Segovia, Avila, Salamanca, and Zamora; area, 3,043 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 242,384. The surface, though elevated, is generally level, and the soil is sandy. The principal rivers are the Douro and its affluents the Duraton, Eresma, and Pisuerga. The province produces grain, red and white wines, flax, hemp, madder, and timber. There are excellent pastures, and numerous horses, cattle, sheep, and mules are raised. Paper, earthenware, and various fabrics of hemp and flax are manufactured.
A City, capital of the province, in an extensive plain on the left bank of the Pisuerga, at the terminus of the canal of Castile, 100 m. N. W. of Madrid; pop. about 50,000. It is irregularly built, but contains some fine streets and squares. The cathedral, begun by Philip II., has never been completed; it has a Doric facade, with an arch over the principal entrance 50 ft. by 24. There are many other churches, convents, and nunneries, of which the churches of Santa Maria la Antigua, San Martin, and San Benito are fine specimens of architecture. The university, for students of law and of medicine, was founded by Alfonso XI. in 1346. There are several colleges, a museum containing the statues, pictures, and other works of art which were removed from the suppressed convents, a royal palace, a theatre, a lyceum, and a public library. Silks, lace, paper, woollens, and earthenware are manufactured, and there is a large trade in corn. - Valladolid was called Belad-Walid by the Moors, from whom it was taken by Ordofio IT. of Leon in 920. It was the capital of Castile and of Spain from the beginning of the 15th century till 1560, when Philip II. removed the court to Madrid. Columbus died in Valladolid.
Valladolid, a town of Mexico, capital of a department of the same name in the state of Yucatan, 90 m. E. S. E. of Merida; pop. about 15,000. The streets are well laid out and clean, and the houses are generally one story high with flat roofs. There are several churches, a town house, and an aqueduct. The climate is healthful, and the town is much resorted to by invalids. Cotton is manufactured.