Volhymnia (Pol. Wotyri), a government of "West Russia, formerly a province of Poland, bordering on the governments of Lublin, Grodno, Minsk, Kiev, and Podolia, and on the Austrian province of Galicia; area, 27,738 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,1,704,018, including about 200,000 Jews. The surface in general is level or undulating, and diversified in some places by hills covered with pine forests, and in the north with peat moors and morasses. In the south some low offsets of the Carpathian range enter the government from Podolia. There are no largo rivers; the Bug forms the W. boundary, and the principal other streams are the Styr and Goryn. The soil is extremely rich, and there is no other part of the empire where agriculture is so flourishing. The chief productions are grain, hemp, flax, linseed, hempseed, hops, tobacco, and live stock. Bog iron, saltpetre, building stone, millstone, limestone, porcelain clay, and potters' clay are the most important minerals. The manufactures are increasing in importance, and include iron, leather, glass, earthenware, paper, beet sugar, cloth, potash, tar, and charcoal.
The principal towns are Zhitomir, the capital, Staro-Konstantinov, Kremenetz, Ostrog, and Dubno.