Aubervilliers, a village of France, in the department of the Seine, 1 m. N. of the enceinte of Paris; pop. in 1866, 9,240. E. of it is a fort of the same name, built in 1842. The village church formerly possessed a picture of the Virgin which was believed to be miraculous, and on that account was called Notre Dame des Vertus.
Aubigne, J. H. Merle d'. See Merle d'Au-
Aubin, a town of France, in the department of Aveyron, 16 m. N. E. of Villefranche; pop. in 1866, 8,863. It is the centre of a rich coal region, which has of late been yielding about 5,000,000 quintals of coal annually. The neighboring village of Le Gua has five furnaces for the smelting of iron.
Aubusson, a town of central France, capital of an arrondis-sement of the department of Creuse, built in a picturesque gorge near the river Creuse, 20 m. S. E. of Gueret; pop. in 1866, 6,625. It is celebrated for its manufacture of carpets, which employs the majority of the inhabitants. Woollen and cotton goods are also made, and there are dye houses, tan yards, and factories of various kinds. The town was founded in the 8th century, and was subject to a feudal lord, the ruins of whose castle are still visible.
Auch, an old city in southern France, capital of the department of Gers, on the river Gers, 41 m. W. of Toulouse; pop. in 1866, 12,500. Its upper part is situated on a high hill crowned by an old Gothic cathedral, and connected with the lower by a long bridge of stairs. Audi is the seat of an archbishopric, a tribunal of commerce, and a college. It has manufactures of thread and cotton stuffs, and carries on a considerable trade, particularly in the brandies of Armagnac.
Audrain, a N. E. county of Missouri; area, 680 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,307, of whom 1,070 were colored. The surface is level or undulating; the soil is generally fertile and suitable for grazing. In 1870 the county produced 44,545 bushels of wheat, 648,963 of Indian corn, 292,435 of oats, 12,226 tons of hay, 6,850 lbs. of tobacco, 28,223 of wool, and 241,-855 of butter. Capital, Mexico, on the North Missouri railroad.
Audubon, a S. W. county of Iowa; area, 630 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,212. It is intersected by an affluent of the Missouri. In 1870 the county produced 26,174 bushels of wheat, 98,-150 of Indian corn, 7,100 of oats, and 3,457 tons of hay. Capital, Exira.
Auenbrugger Von Auenbrug (often called Avenbrugger), Leopold, the inventor of the method of investigating internal diseases by percussion, borninGratz, Styria, Nov. 19,1722, died in Vienna, May 18, 1809. He was physician to the Spanish hospital in Vienna, and first made known his discovery in a treatise entitled Inventum Novum ex Percussione Thoracis Humani Interni Pectoris Morbos Dete-gendi (Vienna, 1761), which was translated into French by Roziere (1770), and again by Cor-visart (1808), and into English by Dr. John Forbes (1824.) (See Auscultation).