Belgorod, Or Bielgorod (Russ., white city), a town of Great Russia, on the Donetz, in the government and 80 m. S. of the city of Kursk; pop. in 1867, 15,200. The town was originally built by the Tartars in the reign of Fedor Ivanovitch, 1597, on a chalk hill, whence its name. It was afterward removed a mile lower down. It is divided into the old and new town, and has three suburbs. The old town is surrounded by rampart and ditch, the new town by palisades only. Belgorod has several factories for refining wax, and for spinning and weaving; it also carries on a considerable trade in hemp, bristles, honey, wax, leather, and soap. Three fairs are held during the year, to which merchants from the south of Russia resort. The environs are very fruitful. Belgorod is the seat of an archbishop, and has 18 churches, 2 convents, and 3 charitable asylums.
Belial, a compound Hebrew word, which the Vulgate and the English version of the Bible frequently but improperly render as a proper name. The etymology of the word, and consequently its precise signification, is not certain. The first part is undoubtedly the Hebrew beli, "without;" the second part is by some connected with the Hebrew 'ol, "yoke," when the meaning would be "unbridled;" by others with 'alah, "to ascend," and the signification would be "ignoble condition;" by others with ya'al, "usefulness," the signification being "worthlessness." The last derivation has the greater number of supporters. It is usually preceded by "man of" or "son of." The phrase "man ofbelial,"or "son of belial," is thus equivalent to "a very worthless fellow." In the best manuscripts of the New Testament the word appears as Be-liar, the final l, as is not unfrequently the case, being changed to r.
Belknap, a S. E. county of New Hampshire; area, 387 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,681. Win-nepiseogee lake forms its X. E. boundary, Win-nepiseogee river flows for some distance along its southern border, and the Pemigewasset touches it on the west. The surface is uneven, containing many hills and small lakes, and is generally fertile. The Boston, Concord, and Montreal, and the Dover and Winnepiseogee railroads traverse the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 20,874 bushels of wheat, 90,687 of Indian corn, 37,837 of oats, 220,705 of potatoes, 36,149 tons of hay, 397,036 lbs. of butter, 81,298 of cheese, 40,051 of maple sugar, and 38,549 of wool. There were 2,146 horses, 4,640 milch cows, 10,978 other cattle, 10,053 sheep, and 2,676 swine. Capital, Gilford.
Belle Isle. I. North, an island at the mouth of the strait of the same name, between Labrador and the extremity of Newfoundland, 16 m. distant from the nearest part of the coast of Labrador, in lat. 52° N., lon. 55° 20' W. Its circumference is about 21 m. On the N. W. side is a harbor for small fishing vessels, and a cove on the E. side affords shelter for shallops. II. South, an island off the E. coast of the N. W. peninsula of Newfoundland, of about the same size as the preceding, 16 m. E. of Canary or Canada bay; lat. 51° N., lon. 55° 35' W. '