Bielgorod. See Belgorod.
Bielitz, a town of Austrian Silesia, on the N. W. declivity of the Carpathian mountains, and on the river Biala, opposite the Galician town of Biala, and 18 m. E. N. E. of Teschen; pop. in 1869, 10,721, chiefly Protestants. It is well built, contains a tine castle and park, and is the seat of a Protestant consistory with jurisdiction over Moravia and Austrian Silesia. It is the principal depot of Galician salt for Moravia and Silesia. Cloth and other articles are manufactured, and the dye works are renowned. The town dates from the 13th century. It was formerly part of the duchy of Teschen, and after having been for some time independent, the emperor Francis I. raised it in 1752 to a principality for Prince Alexander Joseph Sulkowski. The neighboring village of Old Bielitz has over 3,000 inhabitants.
Biella, a town of Italy, in the province of Novara, Piedmont, on the Cervo and Aurena, in a hilly neighborhood, 12 m. N. E. of Ivrea; pop. about 9,000. It is the seat of a bishopric, and has a fine cathedral with pictures by Ca-gliari, besides other churches, and a college. Its trade is active, and cloth, silk, linen, and paper are manufactured. The neighboring village of Oropa has a famous pilgrim church.
Bielshohle, a cave in the Bielstein, one of the mountains of the Hartz, lying near the right bank of the Bode river, about 6 m. from Blankenburg, in Brunswick, northern Germany. It was discovered in 1762, and in 1768 a man named Becker arranged a passage or path by which it might be easily reached. The cavern is about 600 ft. in depth, and its entrance lies a little more than 100 ft. above the Bode. It contains 11 chambers, besides an upper cave, entered through the roof of the seventh division of the main portion. Stalactites of picturesque form and arrangement are the chief feature of interest in the cavern; in the eighth chamber their masses resemble an immense organ, and in the ninth the stalagmites take the form of waves. According to tradition, the forest god Biel, a divinity of the old Saxons, was once worshipped in the neighborhood of, if not in this cave; and a shrine near by contained his image, which the legend says was destroyed by St. Boniface.
Bienville, a N. W. parish of Louisiana, bounded W. by Lake Bistineau, which communicates with Red river; area, 681 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,636, of whom 5,047 were colored. It is traversed by Black Lake and Saline bayous, and intersected in its S. E. corner by Dugdemona river. The chief productions in 1870 were 192,164 bushels of Indian corn, 27,-621 of sweet potatoes, and 7,253 bales of cotton. There were 1,313 horses, 2,786 milch cows, 5,912 other cattle, 4,340 sheep, and 12,485 swine Capital, Sparta.
Bies-Bosch, a marshy lake of the Netherlands, between the provinces of South Holland and North Brabant, comprising about 75 sq. m. It is very shallow and contains numerous islands. The Maas flows into it, and issues from it under the name of Holland's Diep. The lake was formed Nov. 18 and 19, 1421, by an inundation, which is said to have submerged 72 villages, drowning 100,000 people.