Don Benito, a town of Estremadura, Spain, near the left bank of the Guadiana, in the province and 57 m. E. of the city of Badajoz; pop. about 15,000. The town is well built, with wide and clean streets, and several public squares. It contains a prison and a convent. Woollens, wine, and oil are manufactured here, and considerable trade is carried on, both by the river and by rail.
Don Juan. See John of Austria.
Dona Ana, the S. E. county of New Mexico, bounded E. by Texas, and S. by Texas and Mexico; area, about 20,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,864. The Rio Pecos intersects the E. part, and the Rio Grande flows through the W. portion. Several mountain ridges cross the country. The chief productions in 1870 were 23,324 bushels of wheat, 98,590 of Indian corn, and 14,000 lbs. of wool. The value of live stock was $71,740. Capital, Dona Ana.
Donate See Beamante Durbino Lazzari.
Donauworth, a town of Bavaria, in the district of Swabia and Neuburg, situated at the confluence of the Wornitz with the Danube, 25 m. N. N. W. of Augsburg; pop. about 3,500. It has manufactures of linen and leather, and some trade in corn, flax, wool, and cattle. It sprang up around the castle of Worth, and became an imperial city. The inhabitants early embraced the reformation, and in 1G0G so misused the Catholics that the city was in the following year placed under the ban of the empire. This punishment was one of the causes of the thirty years' war. In the war of the Spanish succession Marlborough and Louis of Baden achieved here a victory over the French and Bavarians (July 2, 1704).
Donetz, a river of southern Russia, the principal affluent of the Don. It rises in the government of Kursk, pursues a S. E. course through the government of Kharkov and the country of the Don Cossacks, and joins the Don on the right. Its entire length is about 500 m. Its banks are generally fertile, and its channel is wide and deep. The Oskol, the Aidar, the Kalitva, and some smaller branches join it on the north; and it is navigable up to Zmiev.
Donnybrook, Or St. Mary's Of Donnybrook, a parish and village of Ireland, county Dublin. The parish contains the villages of Irishtown, Donnybrook, Merrion, Ringsend, and Sandy-mount. The village (pop. about 2,000), two miles S. E. of Dublin, of which it is a suburb, is situated on the Dodder, here crossed by a handsome bridge, and contains a fine church, a spacious Roman Catholic chapel, a Magdalen asylum, a dispensary, a lunatic asylum, classical and other schools, a hat manufactory, and a number of mills. It is celebrated for its fair, granted by King John, and formerly held during 15 days from Aug. 26, afterward lasting only a week, being merely a pleasure fair. It was originally for the sale of horses and cattle, but became notorious for riot, bloodshed, and debauchery. It was abolished in 1855.