Great Marlow , a town of Buckinghamshire, England, on the Thames, 11 m. N. E. of Reading; pop. in 1871, 6,010. It has a fine church, manufactories of paper and lace, and a considerable trade in lumber, coal, and corn.
Great Pedee, a river of South Carolina, which, rising in the N. "W. part of North Carolina, at the base of the Blue Eidge, is called the Yadkin until it enters the former state near its N. E. corner. Thence it flows nearly S., falling into "Winyaw bay near Georgetown. Among its tributaries in South Carolina are Lynch's creek, and the Little Pedee, Black, and Waccamaw rivers. It is navigable for small vessels to Cheraw, 150 m.
Great Slave Lake , (Fr. Lac de l'Esclave), a large irregular sheet of water in a district of the same name in the northwest territories of Canada, between lat. 00° 40' and 63° N., and lon. 109° 30' and 117° 30' W.; length from E. to W., 300 m.; greatest breadth, 50 m. Its N. shores are steep and rough, and from them it receives the outlets of Aylmer and Artillery lakes. On the south it presents a less rugged bank, and is entered by a river of its own name, flowing N. for about 300 m. from the W. end of Lake Athabasca. It contains a number of islands, some of which are well wooded. For half the year it is frozen over. Mackenzie river connects it with the Arctic ocean.
Greek Mythology ,.See Mythology.
Green Lake , a S. E. county of Wisconsin, intersected by Fox river; area, 360 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 13,195. Green and Pacawa lakes, each about 9 m. long, are in the county. The surface is undulating and the soil productive. The chief productions in 1870 were 614,247 bushels of wheat, 17,702 of rye, 251,-822 of Indian corn, 300,814 of oats, 18,416 of barley, 11,800 of buckwheat, 91,343 of potatoes, 362,598 lbs. of butter, 119,214 of wool, 32,551 of hops, and 29,628 tons of hay. There were 4,108 horses, 4,353 milch cows, 5,403 other cattle, 31,501 sheep, and 4,659 swine; 3 manufactories of boots and shoes, 15 of carriages, 3 of cheese, 5 of clothing, 3 of barrels and casks, 4 of furniture, 1 of woollen goods, 1 saw mill, and 10 flour mills. Capital, Dartford.
Green Snare ,.See Coluber.
Green Vitriol ,.See Copperas.
Greenbrier , a S. E. county of West Virginia, bordering on Virginia, intersected by Greenbrier river, a N. E. affluent of the Great Kanawha or New river, and bounded S. E. by a ridge of the Alleghanies; area, 880 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 11,417, of whom 1,103 were colored. The soil of the valleys is fertile. The celebrated White Sulphur Springs are in this county, which is crossed by the Chesapeake and Ohio railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 50,214 bushels of wheat, 181,381 of Indian corn, 92,295 of oats, 13,928 of potatoes, 174,-865 lbs. of butter, 34,051 of wool, and 7,444 tons of hay. There were 2,805 horses, 3,201 milch cows, 6,199 other cattle, 13,880 sheep, and 5,733 swine; 4 saw mills, and 2 woollen factories. Capital, Lewisburg.