Marino Carburis, count, a Greek engineer, born at Argostoli, Cephalonia, at the beginning of the 18th century, died there in 1782. He was educated at the university of Bologna. Banished for some folly from Greece, he entered the Russian service under the name of Lascaris. The empress Catharine II. appointed him lieutenant colonel of the corps of engineers, and intrusted him with the construction of the work connected with the statue intended for Peter the Great. Carburis procured a monolith consisting of a block of granite from the gulf of Finland, 21 ft. high, 40 ft. long, and 27 ft. wide. He invented a mechanical apparatus for removing this to St. Petersburg, which was afterward at the request of the French government placed in the conservatoire des arts et metiers. He afterward settled in Cephalonia, and experimented in the cultivation of indigo and in the growth of sugar and American cotton for about four years, when he was assassinated by some Laconian laborers.
Mario De Calasio, an Italian Hebraist, born at Calasio, in the kingdom of Naples, in 1550, died in 1620. While in a Franciscan convent he studied Hebrew and Biblical literature, and was made doctor of theology and professor of Hebrew at Rome. He prepared a Hebrew grammar and dictionary. His great work, Concordantim Sacrorum, Bibliorwni He-Iraica, to which he had devoted 40 years, was published shortly after his death under the patronage of Pope Paul V. and Gregory XV. (4 vols, fol., Rome, 1621). In it the passages are cited in Hebrew and Latin, with facilities for comparison with the Arabic, Chaldee, and Syriac versions. An edition was published by Romaine (4 vols, fol., London, 1747-'9), but it is not as accurate as the former one.
Mario Huber, a Swiss authoress, born in Geneva in 1695, died in Lyons, June 13, 1753. She was the daughter of a merchant, received a scientific education, never married, and spent her whole life in seclusion, study, and charitable labor. Her principal works are: Systemes des theologiens anciens et modernes concilies (Geneva, 1731; enlarged ed., 1739); and Let-ires sur la religion essentielle d l'homme (1739; new ed., enlarged, 6 vols., 1754).
Mariposa, an E. county of California, drained by the Merced and Mariposa rivers, affluents of the San Joaquin; area, 1,440 so. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,572, of whom 1,084 were Chinese. The surface is mountainous, the E. part being traversed by the Sierra Nevada; the soil in the W. is of great fertility. Gold abounds throughout the county, being found in nearly every creek and gulch and in quartz veins. Three placers and three quartz mines were in operation in 1870. It contains the Yosemite falls and the Mammoth Tree grove. (See California.) The chief productions in 1870 were 4.275 bushels of wheat, 8,135 of barley, 1,712 of potatoes, 87,81G lbs. of wool, and 2,499 tons of hay. There were 1,110 horses, 023 milch cows, 6,118 other cattle, 18,442 sheep, and 8,577 swine; 1 iron founder y, 2 breweries, 4 saw mills, and 2 quartz milk Capital, Mariposa.