See France, Wines of.
Meeker, a S. central county of Minnesota, watered by Crow river, and containing numerous small lakes; area, 55 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,01)0. The surface is rolling, consisting mostly of fertile prairies. It is traversed by the St. Paul and Pacific railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 135,147 bushels of wheat, 28,974 of Indian corn, 92,532 of oats, 10,492 of barley, 39,913 of potatoes, 142,771 lbs. of butter, and 15,329 tons of hay. There were 963 horses, 1,871 milch cows, 3,837 other cattle, 2,936 sheep, and 2,687 swine; 4 flour mills, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Litchfield.
Meerane, a town of Saxony, in the circle and 9 m. N. by W. of the city of Zwickau; pop. in 1871, 19,187. In 1858 the population was 11,-147. The increase is due to the progress in the production of woollen and semi-woollen goods. The town contains upward of 100 manufactories of such goods, the exports of which are valued at about 15,000,000 thalers annually. Plush, dyestuffs, and other articles are also made here. It once belonged to Bohemia, and became part of Saxony in 1779.
Megantic, a S. E. county of Quebec, Canada, watered by the Becancour river; area, 743 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 18,879, of whom 12,074 were of French, 4,444 of Irish, 1,302 of Scotch, and 963 of English origin or descent. It contains Lakes Joseph and William, and is traversed by the Grand Trunk railway. Capital, Leeds.
Megaris, a district of ancient Greece, bounded N. by Boeotia, E. by Attica, S. by the Saronic gulf, and W. by Corinth and the Corinthian gulf; area, about 143 sq. in. It is in general rugged and hilly. The principal mountains are Mt. Cithaeron, which separates it from Boeotia, and the Geranean chain, which extends E. and W. across its S. part from sea to sea. Through this chain are three passes: one, the Scironian pass, runs by the Saronic gulf, and formed the direct road from Corinth to Athens; another, which runs along the Corinthian gulf, was the great thoroughfare between Boeotia and the Peloponnesus; and a third crosses the centre of the mountains. The territory of Megaris contains no plain'except that of its metropolis. The earliest inhabitants were Aeolians and Ionians, and it originally constituted part of Attica. The present eparchy of Megaris (pop. about 12,000) forms part of the nomarchy of Attica and Boeotia.
Mehadia (anc. Thermae fferculis), a small town of Hungary, in the Banat, 6 m. W. of the Roumanian frontier, and 12 m. N. of Orsova; pop. about 1,800. It is finely situated, and has been celebrated as a watering place since t,he times of the Romans. The springs are sulphurous, and are very beneficial in gout and other diseases. There is accommodation for 1,000 visitors. The season begins in June.
Meiningen, a town of Germany, capital of the duchy of Saxe-Meiningen, situated in a narrow valley on the right bank of the AVerra, and on the Werra railway, 40 m. S. W. of Erfurt; pop. in 1871, 8,876. The Jews, who are numerous, have built a fine quarter, and the town was prosperous until the autumn of 1874, when four fifths of the houses were burned, the quaint old town hall and other public buildings being swept away. The ducal palace (Elisa-bethenburg), with a park, and a modern Gothic chapel and works of art and a library of 30,000 volumes, escaped the flames. Near Meiningen is the village of Bauerbach, where Schiller resided in 1782-3. (See Saxe-Meiningen).