About 1660 ho penetrated westward to the territory of the Sioux, He made his way from Lake Assiniboine to James bay, and, failing to induce Quebec merchants to occupy Hudson bay, went to England, and in 1G63 led thither an English vessel commanded by Gillam, a New Englander. He subsequently returned to the French service and aided to break up the English posts in the bay, which he explored, naming the rivers that flow into it.
Mede, Or Meade, Joseph, an English theologian, born at Berden, Essex, in October, 1586, died in Cambridge in October, 1638. He graduated at Christ's college, Cambridge, in 1010, and obtained a fellowship. His most esteemed work, Claris Apocalyptica, appeared in Latin in 1627, and in English in 1643. This was the first rational attempt of an English theologian to explain the Apocalypse. A collective edition of his works was published in London by Dr. Worthington in 1672.
Medford, a town of Middlesex co., Massachusetts, at the head of navigation on Mystic river, and on the Boston and Lowell and a branch of the Boston and Maine railroad, 5 m. N. W. of Boston; pop. in 1870, 5,717. It manufactures tin ware, leather, rum, crackers, casks, cabinet ware, harnesses, woollens, cottons, buttons, bricks, carpets, oil silk, boots and shoes, etc, and was formerly noted for'ship building. It has a savings bank, public library, reading room, weekly newspaper, 21 schools, besides a high school, and 11 churches, and is the seat of Tufts college. (See Tufts College).
See Miea-cles and Moralities.
Medina Sidonia, a town of Andalusia, Spain, in the province and 22 m. E. S. E. of the city of Cadiz; pop. about 11,000. It stands on a hill in the midst of an extensive plateau, and is laid out in the form of an amphitheatre. The parish church, Santa Maria la Coronada, is a fine Gothic building. There are five convents, two nunneries, ten schools, and hospitals for the sick and for orphans and foundlings. The surrounding country produces excellent fruits. There are brick and pottery works, and manufactories of coarse cloth. Medina Sidonia gives the title of duke to the descendants of Guzman the Good.
Medjidieh, a new town of European Turkey, in the Dobrudja, 23 m. W. by N. of Kustendji, on the railway connecting Kustendji with the Danube; pop. about 25,000. Before 1860 the place was only a village; it owes its rapid growth to the immigration of Tartars from Russia. Some hundreds of them came to Kustendji after the Crimean war. They were employed upon the railway then in process of construction, and afterward, by the care of the English engineers, received free transportation to Medjidieh. The geographical advantages of the place soon attracted a large immigration, and in 1862 there were living in the town and its vicinity from 40,000 to 50,000 Tartars, greatly outnumbering the Turkish population, and distinguished for the number and excellence of their cattle, while they also raised great quantities of wheat for export. Medjidieh, named after the sultan Abdul Medjid, became the Tartar metropolis of the province.