Mearim, a river of Brazil, rising in the central portion of Maranhao, and flowing N. to lat. 3° 20' S., where it unites with the Pindare to form the Maranhao, at the mouth of which is the island of San Luiz. Brazilians call the entire stream, from its source to the sea, Mea-rim. This river has so strong a current that the tide, after long resistance, rises with a furious bore (pororoco), like that which occurs at the mouth of the Amazon, traversing in 15 minutes a distance usually requiring nine hours. The Mearim is navigated by steamers.
See Weights and Measures.
Meath, an E. maritime county of Ireland, in the province of Leinster, bordering on the counties Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Dublin, Kildare, King's, and Westmeath, and the Irish sea; area, 903 sq. in.; pop. in 1871, 94,480. It has only about 8 m. of coast, and no harbor of importance. The surface is generally level, the soil fertile, and the climate healthful. Oats are the principal crop, but only about one third of the land is under cultivation, the rest being devoted to grazing. The chief rivers are the Bovne and Blackwater. Coarse linens, cot-tons, frieze, paper, etc, are manufactured. The Midland Great Western railway and the Dublin and Belfast Junction railway pass through the county. The principal towns are Kells, the capital, Navan, and Trim.
Meaux, a town of France, in the department of Seine-et-Marne, 25 m. E. N. E. of Paris; pop. in I860, 11,343. It is on the Marne, near the canal of Ourcq. Meaux is an episcopal town, and was the see of Bossuet, whose remains repose in the cathedral, and relics of whom are preserved in the episcopal palace. The cathedral dates from the 12th century, but is still unfinished. There is a communal college with a library of 15,000 volumes, and the town has a brisk trade in grain and cheese.
Mecheln, Or Meckenen, Israel Von, a German engraver and painter of the latter half of the loth century. From the difference in the style of the Mecheln prints, of which upward of 300 are known, it is almost certain that there were two artists of the name. Their works are among the earliest specimens of the art. About the latter half of the 16th century tlnurished an artist of the school of Cologne, who is generally designated as the "master of the Passion," from his chief work, a representation of the Passion on eight panels. Several other works by the same hand are ex-tant in Germany, painted in the stiff Gothic style, with something of the manner of the Van Eycks. By some this unknown artist is supposed to have been identical with Israel von Mecheln the younger.
See Beccafumi, Domenico.
Mecosta, a central county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, watered by the Muskegon and Chippewa rivers; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,642. The surface is undulating and the soil productive. It is traversed by the Grand Rapids and Indiana railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 19,789 bushels of wheat, 15,734 of Indian corn, 27,805 of oats, 53,729 of potatoes, 47,510 lbs. of butter, and 3,176 tons of haw There were 385 horses, 660 milch cows, 1,085 other cattle, 917 sheep, and 741 swine; 3 Hour mills, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Big Rapids.