Santa Rosa, a W. county of Florida, bordering on Alabama, watered by the Yellow and Blackwater rivers, and washed on the S. W. by Pensacola bay and Escambia river; area, 1,440 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,312, of whom 562 were colored. The surface is flat and the soil poor. Santa Rosa island is off the S. shore. The chief productions in 1870 were 6,872 bushels of Indian corn, 1,887 of sweet potatoes, 27,845 lbs. of rice, and 1,328 gallons of molasses. There were 1,976 cattle and 1,291 swine. Capital, Milton.
Santarem, a town of Portugal, in the province of Estremadura, on the right bank of the Tagus, 45 m. N. N. E. of Lisbon; pop. about 8,000. It occupies the summit and two sides of a hill, and the houses are mostly in decay. It has two colleges and a seminary, and a large trade in grain, olive oil, and wine. Santarem was taken from the Moors by Alfonso I. in 1146; and it was the last stronghold of the Miguelites in 1833-'4.
Santee, a river of South Carolina, formed by the Congaree and Wateree, which unite near the middle of the state, at the junction of Sumter, Richland, Orangeburg, and Clarendon counties, whence it flows S. E. into the Atlantic by two mouths in lat. 33° 6' N. The main stream is about 150 m. long, and steamboats ascend to Columbia on the Congaree, and Camden on the Wateree. Its lower part is skirted by rice swamps and pitch pine forests.
Santiago De Compostela (Lat. Campus Stelloe), a city of Galicia, Spain, in the province and 32 m. S. by W. of the city of Co-runna; pop. about 29,000. It is surrounded by hills, and has broad paved streets and well built houses. It is the seat of an archbishop. In the cathedral, founded in 1082, the body of St. James the Elder is popularly believed to be buried, and formerly there were frequent pilgrimages to the shrine. The city has a university with about 1,000 students, a public library, a hospital, and a mint. It was sacked in 997 by the Moors, from whom Ferdinand III. took it in 1235, and in 1809-'14 it was held by the French.
Santiago De Los Caballeros, a city of Santo Domingo, capital of a province of the same name, on the right bank of the Yaqui river, in a savanna nearly surrounded by mountains, 20 m. S. of Puerto Plata; pop. about 8,000. It is built around a large plaza, in which is held the market; the houses in the main part of the town are mostly of stone. Its climate is healthful, and the surrounding country very productive, both in minerals and plants. The tobacco of the Vega Real is sent thither for transportation to Puerto Plata. - Santiago was founded in 1504, and stands in the region called by the natives Cibao. It suffered many reverses from the French and buccaneers, and was destroyed by Dessalines, and again by the Spaniards when they evacuated the island in 1865.
See Bra-zil, vol. iii., p. 220.