Yaquis, Or Hiaqnis, an Indian tribe in Sonora, Mexico, occupying Cocorin, Bacum, Torin, and five other towns on the Yaqui river. They are allied to the Pimas, and their language is a dialect of the Cahita. They are mild and tractable, but independent and brave in war. They are industrious, and make good farm laborers, miners, and boatmen. They weave cotton and agave, and make good pottery. They have a large stock of horses, sheep, and cattle. Catholic missions were begun among them in 1590. As a nation they are ruled by their own laws, and make their towns asylums, never surrendering a fugitive. They revolted against Spanish and Mexican rule in 1735, 1825, 1832, and 1841. In 1825 and 1832 they were led by Banderas, an able and eloquent commander, who was finally defeated by Gen. Urea. They speak in a loud rough tone, and their name is said to mean "He who shouts".
I. A central government of European Russia (formerly a grand duchy), bordering on Novgorod, Vologda, Kostroma, Vladimir, and Tver; area, 13,750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,000,748. It is watered by the Volga and several smaller rivers, including the Mologa. The country is flat, and occasionally marshy; the production of grain is inadequate for the consumption, but cattle and vegetables are more abundant. Fish are largely exported. The chief commercial place is Rybinsk.
A City, capital of the government, at the junction of the Kotorosl and the Volga, 150 m. N. E. of Moscow; pop. in 1867, 37,275. It is an episcopal see, and has more than 60 churches, several convents, a theological seminary, a richly endowed lyceum and other schools, manufactories of woollen, linen, silk, bells, etc, and much trade.
Yarrow, a river of Selkirkshire, Scotland, which rises at Yarrow Cleugh,' 1¼ m. E. of Loch Skene, and pursues a general E. N. E. course of 25 m., flowing through Lochs Lowes and St. Mary, and uniting with the Ettrick, a tributary of the Tweed, 1½ m above Selkirk. Its current is fierce and precipitous. On its banks are the ruins of Newark castle, and Bowhill, the seat of the duke of Buccleuch. It receives about 40 small tributaries.
Yeisk, a town of European Russia, in the Ciscaucasian territory of the Kuban, at the mouth of the Yeya, 125 m. N". N. TV. of Yekaterinodar; pop. about 30,000. It was built in 1848, on a tongue of land which separates the Yeisk estuary from the sea of Azov, and has become an important centre of trade and industry. The principal exports are grain, wool, and linseed.
Yekaterinodar, a town of European Russia, capital of the Ciscaucasian territory of the Kuban, on the left bank of the river Kuban, 140 m. S. by TV. of Azov; pop. in 1867, 8,765. It is a wretched place, surrounded by morasses. Gardens are attached to the houses, which are mostly of earth, though a few are of wood. It has a cathedral with six modern towers, and a kerepost or timber fortress, where the hetman of the Cossacks resides.