Yekaterinograd, a fortified town of European Russia, in the Ciscaucasian territory of the Terek, on the left bank of the river Terek, 20 m. TV. of Mozdok; pop. about 5,000. It is a chief military Cossack station, and is noted for its abundance of pheasants, which form the principal food. It was founded in 1777 by Potemkin, in whose honor Catharine II. erected here an arch of stone.
Yell, a TV. county of Arkansas, bounded N. E. by Arkansas river, and intersected by its tributaries Fourche la Fave and Petit Jean rivers; area, 936 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,048, of whom 767 were colored. It has a diversified surface, and the soil is generally fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 13,802 bushels of wheat, 206,075 of Indian corn, 11,890 of oats, 6,269 of Irish and 15,932 of sweet potatoes, 97,392 lbs. of butter, 2,999 of wool, 4,404 of tobacco, and 3,671 bales of cotton. There were 1,397 horses, 5,336 cattle, 2,200 sheep, and 14,224 swine. Capital, Danville.
See Fevers, vol. vii., p. 165.
Yellow Mediclye, a S. W. county of Minnesota, bounded N. E. by the Minnesota river; area, 792 sq. m.; pop. in 1875, 2,484. It is watered by the Lac qui Parle and Yellow Medicine rivers. The surface is an uneven table land, consisting of open plains and prairies. Capital, Granite Falls.
See China, vol. iv., p. 442.
Yellow Sea (Chinese Hoang-Hai) a large sea on the N. E. coast of China, between the peninsula of Corea on the east, the Chinese provinces of Kiangsu, Shantung, and Chihli on the west, and Shinking or Liaotung on the north. In the northwest it terminates in the gulfs of Liaotung and Pechili; the latter is important from its reception of numerous large rivers, among which are the Pei-ho and Hoangho. The two gulfs are nearly separated from the remainder of the Yellow sea by the Shantung promontory, and the long narrow peninsula known as the "Regent's Sword." On the E. coast are numerous groups of islets, forming the Corean archipelago. The sea is very shallow, and it derives its name from the turbidness of its waters, which flow over a bottom of yellow alluvium easily stirred up by vessels passing over it. Its length is about 600 m., and its greatest breadth about 400 m. The Hoang-ho or Yellow river carries into it an immense quantity of detritus.
Yellow Springs, a village of Miami township, Greene co., Ohio, 75 m. N. E. of Cincinnati; pop. in 1870,1,435. It is on the Springfield branch of the Little Miami division of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis railroad. It takes its name from a mineral spring of local celebrity. The village has a graded school for white children, an ungraded school for colored children, and Baptist (colored), Christian, Episcopal, Methodist (one white and one colored), Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic churches. It is chiefly noted as the seat of Antioch college.' (See Antioch College.) The village was incorporated in 1854.