Santa Ana, a N. W. county of New Mexico, bordering on Arizona, and intersected in the S. E. by the Rio Grande; area, about 7,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,599. It is watered in the east by tributaries of the Rio Grande, and in the west by affluents of the San Juan and Colorado Chiquito. The surface is mountainous. The chief productions in 1870 were 2,975 bushels of wheat, 9,521 of Indian corn, and 26,334 lbs. of wool. They were 155 horses, 269 mules and asses, 1,477 cattle, 32,630 sheep, and 112 swine. Capital, Jemez.
See San JosÉ.
Santa Cruz, Or Saint Croix, an island of the West Indies, 65 m. E. S. E. of Porto Rico, the largest and southernmost of the Virgin group, forming with St. Thomas and St. John the Danish government of the West Indies; length about 25 m., greatest breadth 5 m.; area, 84 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,760. The surface is level, with a range of low hills in the north. There are numerous streams, and the soil is fertile. Nearly the whole island is cultivated, about half being planted with sugar cane. Santa Cruz was discovered by Columbus on his second voyage, and has been in the hands of the Dutch, British, Spanish, and French, the last of whom ceded it to Denmark in 1733. The British took it in 1807, but restored it to the Danes by the treaty of Paris. English is the language generally spoken. Capital, Christiansted.
Santa Maria (Sp. Puerto de Santa María), a city of Andalusia, Spain, in the province and 6 m. E. N. E. of the city of Cadiz, on the right bank of the Guadalete, where it falls into the bay of Cadiz; pop. about 21,000. It is second to Cadiz in exporting wine of excellent quality, and to Jerez in the extent of its wine cellars. Brandy, liqueurs, oil, hats, soap, leather, and wax are manufactured.
Santa Maria De Puerto Principe, a city of Cuba, capital of the Central department, about midway between the N. and S. coasts, 305 m. E. S. E. of Havana, and 45 m. W. S. W. of Nue-vitas, its port, with which it is connected by railway; pop. about 30,000. It lies between two small streams, the Tinima and the Jati-bonico, in a rich agricultural district, the chief products of which are sugar and tobacco. The climate is hot, moist, and unhealthy. The city is irregularly built. Its chief buildings are several churches and monasteries, a hospital, and two theatres. Its trade is inconsiderable compared with its population. Puerto Principe was formerly the seat of the supreme court of all the Spanish colonies in America. It has been threatened several times during the present war by the Cuban patriots, and two or three battles have taken place in its vicinity.
Santa Marta, a city of the United States of Colombia, capital of the state of Magda-lena, on the E. shore of the bay of Santa Marta, 455 m. N. of Bogotá; pop. about 4,000. It is situated in the midst of sand marshes, near the mouth of the Manzanares. The houses are chiefly of one story, roofed with straw or tiles, and there is a fine cathedral. The port, which is spacious and commodious, and defended by three forts, is well frequented by shipping, chiefly engaged in coasting and the West Indian trade. Steamers ply monthly between Santa Marta and New York. The principal exports are Peruvian bark, hides, skins, coffee, hats, fustic and other dyes, and medicinal plants. The value of the exports to New York in 1872 was $290,182.