Menai Strait, a narrow channel of Wales, which separates the island of Anglesea from Carnarvonshire. Its direction is .nearly S. W. and N. E., its length about 13 m., and its breadth from 200 yards to 2 m. The navigation of this strait in some places is difficult and hazardous; but as the passage saves time and distance, vessels of 100 tons, and sometimes larger, pass through it. The first and last portions of each ebb and flow run in contrary directions in this strait, and the tides are very high, at the equinox sometimes rising to 30 ft. The Menai channel is crossed by two bridges about a mile apart, the Menai suspension bridge and the Britannia bridge. (See Beidge, vol. iii., pp. 274, 275).
See Christians of St. John.
Mendes, a city of ancient Egypt, situated in the delta, near the point where the Mendesian arm of the Nile flows into the lake of Tanis. It was a considerable place under the Pharaohs, was one of the homes assigned to that division of the native army called by Herodotus Calasiries, and was celebrated for the manufacture of a perfume known as the Mendeskim unguentum. It was in ruins in the first century B. C.; its remains are seen in the mounds of Ashmoun on the canal leading to Menzaleh. It was the seat of the worship of a deity represented under the form of a goat, whom the Greek writers on Egypt call Pan, but who was probably Khem, one of the great gods of Egypt, and the symbol of the generative principle.
See Mendez Pinto.
See Reli-gious Orders.
Mendocino, a N. W. county of California, bordering on the Pacific, and drained by the head waters of Eel and Russian rivers, and by numerous other streams; area, 3,816 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,545, of whom 129 were Chinese. The interior is mountainous, but generally adapted to agriculture or grazing. Along the coast the mountain-sides are covered with forests of redwood. The chief productions in 1870 were 95,639 bushels of wheat, 129,971 of oats, 64,670 of barley, 83,473 of potatoes, 178,-493 lbs. of wool, 62,692 of butter, 59,400 of hops, and 10,116 tons of hay. There were 4,405 horses, 3,431 milch cows, 7,906 other cattle, 49,839 sheep, and 18,109 swine; 2 flour mills, 15 saw mills, and 6 manufactories of saddlery and harness. Capital, Ukiah.
See Egypt, vol. vi., p. 459.
See China, vol. iv., p. 473.
Menifee, an E. county of Kentueky, bounded N. E. by Licking river and S. by Red river, a tributary of the Kentucky; area, about 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,986, of whom 16 were colored. The surface is hilly and broken; the soil is generally productive. The chief productions in 1870 were 1,760 bushels of wheat, 73,725 of Indian corn, 10,662 of oats, and 4,111 of potatoes. There were 384 horses, 467 milch cows, 667 other cattle, 2,116 sheep, and 2,130 swine. Capital, Frenchburg.