Melntosh

A S. E. county of Georgia, bounded S. E. by the Atlantic ocean, and S. W. by the Altamaha river; area, 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,491, of whom 3,288 were colored. It is drained by the Sapelo river and Jones's and Doctor's creeks. The surface is level and the soil fertile. It is intersected by the Atlantic and Gulf railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 23,638 bushels of Indian corn, 26,-438 of sweet potatoes, 4,900,389 lbs. of rice, and 5,019 gallons of cane molasses. There were 1,800 milch cows, 3,055 other cattle, 684 sheep, and 4,449 swine; 9 lumber mills, and 3 brick and stone yards. Capital, Darien.

Melodrama

See Drama, vol. vi., p. 247.

Melody

See Music.

Melpomene

Melpomene, in Greek mythology, the muse who presided over tragedy. She was a daughter of Zeus and Mnemosyne, and is generally represented as a young woman of grave countenance, arrayed in splendid garments, wearing the cothurnus, with a wreath of vine leaves on her head, a sword or the club of Hercules in one hand, and a crown or sceptre in the other.

Meltoff-Mowbray

Meltoff-Mowbray, a town of Leicestershire, England, on the Midland railway, 15 m. N. E. of Leicester; pop. in 1871, 5,033. It has much improved of late years, and the parish church was thoroughly restored in 1867. There are a Roman Catholic and various Protestant chapels, a mechanics' institute, two large free schools, and several charitable institutions. Stilton cheese and pork pies are largely produced; and there are manufactures of bobbi-net lace, breweries, and tanneries. The Melton hunt attracts hither many sporting men.

Membsch Von Strehlenal

See Lenau, Nlkolaus.

Memel River

See Niemen.

Memling, Or Heading, Hans

Memling, Or Heading, Hans, a Flemish painter, born probably near Bruges about 1425, supposed to have died in Spain in the beginning of the 16th century. He was a pupil of Roger of Bruges, and was one of the best artists of the school of Van Eyck. He visited Italy and Germany in middle life, and is said to have served Charles the Bold of Burgundy in the twofold capacity of painter and soldier. After the battles of Granson and Morat (1476), he gained admittance into the hospital of St. John in Bruges, penniless and disabled by wounds, and painted for the institution some of his finest works. Two of these, altarpieces with wings, are inscribed with his name and the date of the year, 1479. In the chapel of the hospital is also the celebrated reliquary of St. Ursula, a shrine about 4 ft. long, with the history of the saint on the longer sides in six compartments. These pictures are among the most interesting productions of the Flemish school.

Memmiygen

Memmiygen, a walled town of Bavaria, in the district of Swabia and Neuburg, on the Aach, 41 m. S. W. of Augsburg; pop. in 1871, 7,215. It has six churches, a handsome town house, grammar and industrial schools, a "hospital, an orphan asylum, manufactures of chintz, calico, wax cloth, ribbons, tobacco, copper, and iron, a bell foundery, bleach fields, and glue works. It was a free imperial city till 1802. Here on Oct. 13, 1805, 4,000 Austrians surrendered to the French under Soult.