Novi, a town of Italy, in the province of Alessandria, 24 m. N. by W. of Genoa; pop. about 12,000. It is walled, and has broad though irregular streets, and a handsome square, with a fountain. There are many fine villas and palaces belonging to opulent Genoese families, who spend the autumn here on account of the salubrious climate. It is famous for its silk manufactures. A battle was fought here, Aug. 15, 1799, between the Russians and Austrians under Suvaroff and the French under Joubert, in which the French were defeated and their commander killed.
Novibazar, Or Yenibazar, a town of Bosnia, on the S. border of Servia, 120 m. S. E. of Bosna-Serai; pop. about 15,000. The houses are hardly more than hovels, and the ancient castle is dilapidated; but the town is important on account of its central situation, and for the fertility of the surrounding country. It has annual fairs, which are largely attended, and is the prospective terminus of an important railway line.
Nox (Gr. N), in classical mythology, the goddess of night, the daughter of Chaos and sister of Erebus (Darkness), and, according to the Hesiodic theogony, one of the very first created beings. By her brother Erebus she became the mother of Aether (the Air) and Hemera (Day), and she is said to have given birth without any husband to Thanatos (Death), Dreams, Momus, the Hesperides, Nemesis, and similar beings. In later poets she is merely the personification of the darkness of night. She is represented as a winged goddess, covered witli a dark, star-spangled robe, or sometimes riding in a chariot accompanied by the stars, and holding in her arms the gods of sleep and death as two boys.
Noxubee, an E. county of Mississippi, bordering on Alabama, and intersected by Noxubee river; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop in 1870, 20,905, of whom 15,798 were colored. It has a nearly level surface and an excellent soil. The Mobile and Ohio railroad passes through Macon. The chief productions in 1870 were 3,619 bushels of wheat, 516,155 of Indian corn, 19,707 of oats, 30,835 of sweet potatoes, 15,473 bales of cotton, 69,044 lbs. of butter, and 25,000 gallons of molasses. There were 1,511 horses, 3,308 mules and asses, 3,131 milch cows, 6,064 other cattle, 2,570 sheep, and 19,196 swine; 1 cotton factory, 10 flour mills, and 3 saw mills. Capital, Macon.
See Ilardexneka, Fmedricii Von.
Noyogeorgieysk, formerly Modlix, a town of Poland, in the government and 19 m. N. W. of the city of "Warsaw, at the confluence of the Bug with the Vistula; pop. in 18C7, 9,886. It is strongly fortified, and contains a citadel and an arsenal. The town was founded by Napoleon in 1809, under the name of Modlin. The present name was adopted by the Russian government after its occupation of the town in 1831. It held out against the Russians from January to November, 1813, when it surrendered to avoid starvation. The revolted Poles gained possession of it in December, 1830, and retained it till after the fall of Warsaw in September, 1831.