See Bible, vol. ii., p. 613.
Sequatchie, a S. county of Tennessee, intersected by the Sequatchie river, a tributary of the Tennessee; area, about 250 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,335, of whom 175 were colored. The surface is very hilly and the soil moderately productive. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,472 bushels of wheat, 13,010 of Indian corn, 6,905 of oats, 9,353 lbs. of tobacco, and 5,904 of wool. Iron and other valuable minerals abound. Capital, Dunlap.
Sequin (Ital. zecchino, from zecca, the mint), an old Italian and Turkish gold coin. It was first struck at Venice about the end of the 13th century, and afterward in all the other Italian cities, and by the Levant trade introduced into Turkey. The Tuscan sequin is worth $2.313; the Turkish varies according to the date of coinage.
Seraing, a village of Belgium, in the province and 3 m. S. W. of the city of Liége, on the right bank of the Meuse; pop. in 1866, 19,414, against 2,000 in 1820. It has mines of iron and coal, and is the seat of the works established in 1816 by John Cockerill, and now managed by a company, producing locomotives, steamboats, and all kinds of machinery.
Serampore, a town of British India, in the Hoogly district of Bengal, on the W. bank of the Hoogly 13 m. N. of Calcutta, with which it is connected by rail; pop. about 15,000. It extends about a mile along the river, and is well built and clean. Serampore was a colony of Denmark from 1676 to 1845, when it was purchased by the English. The first Baptist mission in Hindostan was established here, and here also was published the first native newspaper, printed by the missionaries from 1818 to 1823. The principal industry of Serampore is the manufacture of paper.
See Rosmini Serbati.
Sergei Semeiiovitcli Uvaroff, count, a Russian statesman, born in Moscow in 1785, died there in September, 1855. He studied in Gottingen, and was successively curator of the university of St. Petersburg and president of the academy of sciences, director of the department of trade and industry, and minister of education. He was made a count in 1846, and retired in 1848 on account of the restrictions on public instruction, which he had much promoted. More than any other Russian statesman he called into existence learned institutions, and laid the foundation of oriental studies and of the Asiatic department in the chancellery. His works have been collectively published under the titles of Etudes de philologie et de critique (St. Petersburg, 1843) and Esquisses politiques et littéraires (Paris, 1849), including his Notice sur Goethe.