Columbia, the capital of Maury co., Tennessee, on the left bank of Duck river, 38 m. S. by W. of Nashville; pop. in 1870, 2,550, of whom 1,108 were colored. The surrounding country is fertile and productive. It is the seat of Jackson college, a female athenaeum, female institute, and conference college. A weekly newspaper is published here. There are two banks, with $200,000 capital. Columbia was the residence of President Polk previous to his election. It was at one time the capital of the state. The Nashville and Decatur railroad passes through it.
Columbia, a village, capital of Boone co., Missouri, 115 m. W. N. W. of St. Louis; pop. in 1870, 2,236, of whom 798 were colored. It is situated in a populous and fertile region, and is the seat of the state university. The university building is a large and elegant structure, erected at the expense of the citizens of the county. In 1871 it had 12 instructors, 217 students, of whom 40 were females and 118 were in the preparatory department, and a library of 5,000 volumes. There are two weekly newspapers. A branch of the North Missouri railroad terminates here.