Grenada , a British colony and island in the West Indies, the most southerly of what are called the Caribbee islands, between lat. 11° 58' and 12° 20' N., and Ion. 61° 40' and 61° 55' W., about 90 m. from the nearest part of South America; length from N. to S. about 24 m., greatest breadth 12 m.; area, 133 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 37,684, about one tenth of whom were whites. A range of mountains, whose highest peak, Mt. St. Catharine, is 3,200 ft. above the sea, traverses the whole length of the island, with outliers of less elevation. Numerous small rivers rise in these mountains, the principal of which are the Great Bucolet, Du-quesne, Antoine, St. John's, and Beau Sejour. In the centre of the island, and 1,700 ft. above the sea, is a circular lake 2 1/2 m. in circumference. The island is divided into six districts called parishes. The capital, St. George (pop. 5,000), is on the S. W. coast, near a large and strongly fortified bay, which is capable of giving shelter to a large fleet of first class vessels. It is nearly landlocked, and steamers of 1,800 tons can lie alongside the wharves. This port is a coal depot and central station for the British West India mail steamers.
Grenada is governed by a lieutenant governor, a council of 12 members, and a legislative assembly of 17. The revenue in 1870 was £23,106, the expenditure £20,824; the public debt in 1869 was £7,000. The imports in 1870 were in value £104,475, and the exports £127,184. The staple products of the island are sugar, rum, molasses, and cacao of a superior quality. Among the minor articles of export are yams, charcoal, and arrowroot. The Grenadines are four small islands in the vicinity of Grenada, the largest of which, Carriacou, is 7 m. long and 2 1/2 m. broad; total pop. 3,000. - Grenada was discovered by Columbus in 1498, and was at that time peopled by the fierce and warlike Caribs. In 1650 the first European settlement was made by Du Parquet, the French governor of Martinique, who landed with 200 followers, and speedily conquered the island and massacred the natives. In 1762 it was conquered by the British, from whom it was retaken by the French in 1779, and by them restored to Great Britain at the peace of 1783. Slavery was completely abolished in 1838, at which time the slaves numbered 17,190, and the free population 3,804, most of whom were colored.
Grenada , a N. county of Mississippi, intersected by Yallabusha river; area, about 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,571, of whom 6,642 were colored. The surface is level, and the soil fertile. It is traversed by the Mississippi and Tennessee and the Mississippi Central railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 191,075 bushels of Indian corn, 19,548 of sweet potatoes, and 6,479 bales of cotton. There were 832 horses, 1,108 mules and asses, 1,970 milch cows, 4,484 other cattle, 2,059 sheep, and 9,419 swine; also, 2 saw mills. Capital, Grenada.