I An E. county of Iowa, drained by the Wapsipinicon and Red Cedar rivers and Prairie and Buffalo creeks; area, 720 sq. m.; pop. in 1*870, 31,080. It is well timbered, and has a diversified surface and an excellent soil. The Dubuque Southwestern, the Chicago and Northwestern, and the Burlington, Cedar Rapids, and Minnesota railroads pass through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 707,868 bushels of wheat, 2,201,047 of Indian corn, 792,119 of oats, 157,851 of potatoes, 49,921 lbs. of wool, 893,190 of butter, and 51,207 tons of hay. There were 11,405 horses, 10,887 milch cows, 18,908 other cattle, 15,680 sheep, and 40,248 swine; 12 manufactories of carriages, 9 of brick, 3 of cooperage, 9 of furniture, 2 of lime, 1 of linseed oil, 1 of paper, 10 of saddlery and harness, 7 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of woollen goods, 5 breweries, 9 flour mills, 7 saw mills, and 1 railroad repair shop. Capital, Marion.
II. An E. County Of Kansas, bordering on Missouri, and intersected by the Osage river; area, GOO sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,174. The surface is mostly occupied by prairies, with groves along the streams; the soil is fertile. Coal and building stone are abundant. The Missouri River, Fort Scott, and Gulf railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 116,-701 bushels of wheat, 728,814 of Indian corn, 300,880 of oats, 80,083 of potatoes, 25,544 lbs. of wool, 233,214 of butter, and 7,133 tons of hay. There were 5,302 horses, 4,955 milch cows, 7,386 other cattle, 8,483 sheep, and 9,432 swine; 4 manufactories of saddlery and harness, 4 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 flour mills, and 6 saw mills. Capital, La Cygne.
III. A N. County Of Missouri, drained by Locust and other creeks; area, 588 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,900, of whom 742 were colored. It has a rolling surface and a fertile soil. The Hannibal and St. Joseph railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 103,711 bushels of wheat, 472,135 of Indian corn, 228,-473 of oats, 52,853 of potatoes, 58,255 lbs. of tobacco, 43,097 of wool, 179,263 of butter, and 7,686 tons of hay. There were 5,662 horses, 4,602 milch cows, 7,909 other cattle, 17,192 sheep, and 20,032 swine; 6 manufactories of carriages, 7 of saddlery and harness, 2 flour mills, and 4 saw mills. Capital, Linneus.
IV. A W. County Of Oregon, bounded W. by Willamette river and drained by the Santyam and Calapooya; area, 2,400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,. 8,717. The soil along the streams is fertile. The Cascade range is in the E. part. Gold, silver, and lead exist, but are not mined. The Oregon and California railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 479,-294 bushels of wheat, 343,298 of oats, 21,917 of barley, 30,295 of potatoes, 108,714 lbs. of wool, 39,400 of flax, 167,680 of butter, and 6,475 tons of hay. There were 4,249 horses, 4,005 milch cows, 4,805 other cattle, 41,171 sheep, and 10,817 swine; 5 manufactories of furniture, 1 of machinery, 3 of saddlery and harness, 4 of sash, doors, and blinds, 7 flour mills, and 11 saw mills. Capital, Albany.