I. Wilson, an American statesman, born in Pittsylvania co., Va., Jan. 14, 1783, died in Athens, Ga., in 1871. Early in 1784 his father removed to that part of Georgia now known as Oglethorpe county, and in 1797 was appointed clerk of the superior court there, and the son became an assistant in his office, and devoted his leisure to the study of law. He had scarcely reached the age of 21 when he was elected to the legislature, and he was subsequently reelected a number of times. He was twice elected governor of the state, in 1831 and 1833. In 1823 he was appointed by President Monroe to mark out the boundary line between Georgia and Florida; and by President Jackson he was appointed one of the first commissioners under the Cherokee treaty of 1835. He was one of the original members of the board of public works, created by the state legislature. He served in the United States house of representatives from 1815 to 1817, and from 1827 to 1831, and in the senate from 1838 to 1841.
II. Joseph Henry, an American lawyer and jurist, brother of the pre-cedinc:, born in Oglethorpe co., Ga., Dec. 23, 1799, died in Athens, Ga., June 4, 1867. At an early age he entered the university of Georgia, but afterward went to Princeton, N. J., where he graduated. In 1820 he was admitted to the bar, and commenced practice at Lexington in his native county, where he soon gained eminence in the profession. In 1844 he retired from the bar on account of ill health, and shortly afterward visited Europe. In 1845 he was elected a justice of the state supreme court, afterward became chief justice, and held that office until his death. As a judge he held a high position. At the bar he was chiefly distinguished as an advocate in criminal causes, and his extraordinary appeals to the sympathy of jurors were long the subject of conversation among those who had opportunities of hearing him. He was a prominent advocate of the temperance cause. In 1846 he was elected to the chair of rhetoric and oratory in the university of Georgia, which he declined.
At the time of his death he held the chief professorship in the Lumpkin law school at Athens, in connection with the state university, of which institution he was a trustee.