Pembroke, the county town of Pembrokeshire, on a navigable creek of Milford Haven, 9 miles W. of Tenby and 80 W. by N. of Cardiff. On the extremity of the ridge on which the town is built stands Pembroke Castle, founded in 1094 by Arnulf de Montgomery, a very imposing ruin, with a Norman keep 75 feet high and 52 in diameter. Beneath is a huge natural cavern, 70 by 50 feet. The birthplace of Henry VII., this castle in 1648 was taken by Cromwell after a six weeks' siege. Monkton Priory, with its roofless Decorated choir, is another interesting structure. The Pembroke district of boroughs, returning one member, comprises Pembroke, Milford, Tenby, Wiston, and also (since 1885) Haverfordwest, Fishguard, and Narberth. Pembroke for more than four centuries has given the title of earl to the House of Herbert. At Pembroke Dock, or Pater, 2 1/2 miles north-west, is the naval dockyard and arsenal, established in 1814. With an area of 70 acres, it has since 1861 been fortified at a cost of more than a quarter of a million. Pop. of Pembroke (1861) 15,071; (1901) 15,853; of Pembroke district of boroughs, 36,880.