Teignmouth (Tinmuth), a Devon seaport and watering-place, 12 miles (by rail 15) S. of Exeter, on the N. side of the Teign's pretty estuary, which is spanned by a wooden bridge (1827), 557 yards long. Burned by the Danes in 970, by the French in 1338 and 1690, it has a grassy promenade, the Din or Dune, a pier (1866), a public market (1883), baths (1883), a Benedictine nunnery (1865), etc. Pop. 8700.
Tel-el-Amarna, or Tell-el-Amarina, a mass of ruins representing the capital of the heretic Egyptian king, Amenhotep IV., a little N. of Assiout, on the Nile's E. bank. Here, in 1887, were found 230 tablets in Babylonian cuneiform.
Tel-el-Kebir (Kebeer'), midway on the railway between Ismailia and Cairo, was the scene on the morning of 13th September 1882 of the capture by Sir Garnet Wolseley of Arabi Pasha's entrenched camp, defended by 26,000 men.
Tembuland. See Transkei.
Temesvar (Tem-es-vahr'), a royal free city of Hungary, on the Bega Canal, 160 miles SE. of Pesth by rail. It has a fine cathedral, an ancient castle, and manufactures of flour, tobacco, cloth, silk, paper, leather, wool, and oil. Temesvar has endured many sieges - the latest in 1849, when it was bombarded for 107 days by the Hungarian insurgents, but relieved by Haynau. Pop. (1880) 33,694; (1900) 49,625.
Tenas'serim, the southernmost division of Burma, is a narrow territory between the sea and the mountains of the Siamese frontier. Area, 46,590 sq. m.; pop. (1881)825,741; (1901) 1,137,780. The chief towns are Maulmain, Taung-ngu, and Tavoy. The town of Tenasserim (pop. now under 600) stands 33 miles from the sea at the junction of the Great and Little Tenasserim rivers.
Tenby, a thriving watering-place of Pembrokeshire, South Wales, 9 1/2 miles E. of Pembroke and 276 W. of London, is finely seated on a rocky headland overlooking Carmarthen Bay. The Cymric Din-bach y Pysgod ('fishy little fortress'), it was one of the Flemish colonies planted by Henry I. in Pembrokeshire, and retains a long stretch of its ancient walls, strengthened by Queen Elizabeth in 1588, and a fragment of a castle, whence in 1471 the future Henry VII. escaped to Brittany. Its mild climate, fine level sands, and capital bathing have been the making of the place, which has an interesting Gothic church (1250) with a spire 152 feet high, a colossal marble statue of the Prince Consort (1865), and a fort (1868) on St Catherine's Island. It is an ancient municipal borough, and with Pembroke (q.v.), etc, returns one member. Pop. (1861) 2982; (1901) 4400. See works by P. H. Gosse (1856) and Mrs Hall (2d ed. 1873).