1. What preparation and qualifications are essential to a superintendent of building operations?
2. What are batter boards, and how should they be prepared? What is a bench mark?
3. What is the advantage of laying a rough floor in buildings? Why is this often laid diagonally?
4. How much larger than the outside of the wall should the excavation of a cellar be carried? Why?
5. How far apart should laths be spaced? What defects warrant the rejection of laths?
6. What should the priming coat of paint consist of? How should knots be treated before priming?
7. What is the position of the architect, as superintendent, in relation to the owner and the contractor?
8. Describe the peppermint test for plumbing pipes. 9. Show by a sketch the difference between "block finish" and "mitred finish". What is a plinth block?
10. What must be considered in locating a dwelling?
11. What is a loose-joint butt? A loose-pin butt?
12. What should be the area of the cold air box in relation to the piping to registers?
13. What particular points should be observed in the inspection of electric light wires?
14. How should the connection between lead and iron pipes be made?
15. What is the principal objection to the using of stock doors?
16. What makes a good finish for hard woods? What is the purpose of a "filler"?
17 How long should lime plaster have been mixed before applying to the walls? Why? At what time should hair be added to the plaster?
18. What is the proper width of exposure for roof shingles? Wall shingles? What is " head cover "?
19. Describe some improper methods by which cellar walls are often built? Point out the defects.
20. How should vertical lead pipes be secured? Horizontal lead pipes?
21. What is a tight cesspool? A leaching cesspool?
22. Is a girt or a ledger-board to be preferred as a support for floor timbers? Why?
23. Describe the process of slaking lime and mixing mortar. When should cement be added if part cement is used?
24. What precaution must be taken in furring with wood around chimneys?
25. What is a ground cock? A compression cock?
26. What are some simple methods of determining the nature of the ground when a house is to be built.
27. What is the usual breadth and spacing of floor timbers? Rafters?
28. What are the principal qualities of good building sand? (rive some simple tests?
29. How are gas pipes tested?
30. Show by a sketch a single-rebated door frame. A double-rebated frame. What advantage does one possess over the other?
31. Which is to be preferred for building upon, gravel or clay? Why?
32. Is it well to use matched boards under roof shingles? Give reasons.
33. What is a mortise lock? Where and why are sash lifts used?
34. Is it well to plaster the inside of chimney flues? Why? What makes the best flue?
35. What is the best method of bridging floors? Partitions? 36. What general plan should be followed in superintending building operations?
37. Why are hardwood floors usually matched? What is blind nailing? Traversing?
38. What are screeds? Skim-coat?' White-coat?
39. How should hot air pipes which run through partitions be protected?
40. Where would you put brick or plaster filling to afford the greatest protection against the spread of fire?
41. Describe the method of joining soil pipes. What is the object of caulking the joint?
42. What is indirect heating?
43. What portions of the outside frame of a house should be tenoned or framed together?
44. What is an S-trap? To what dangers are small traps subject? What is the remedy?
45. How are hardwood doors made? What is the usual thickness of the veneers?
46. What is a hopper closet? A syphon-jet closet?
47. Describe some points to be observed in the inspection of gas piping.
48. Show by a sketch how the riser and tread of stairs are put together. Give two methods of determining the length of steps.
49. Describe the system of direct hot water heating.
50. What is the usual thickness of plate glass? Of single-thick glass? Of double-thick glass?