Potsdam, a town and village of St. Lawrence co., New York, on Raquette river, 25 m. E. by S. of Ogdensburg; pop. of the town in 1870, 7,774; of the village, 2,891. The town is rich in agricultural resources, and contains extensive quarries of the famous Potsdam sandstone. (See Sandstone.) There are five post offices, viz.: Potsdam (village), Potsdam Junction (an incorporated village having 966 inhabitants in 1870, where the Rome, Watertown, and Ogdensburg, and the Ogdensburg and Lake Ohamplain railroads intersect), West Potsdam, Crary's Mills, arid South Potsdam. Potsdam village is situated on the E. bank of Raquette river, which here furnishes abundant water power. In the spring great numbers of logs are floated down the stream, supplying the saw mills on its banks. The village has paved sidewalks, a fire department, and Holly water works. Here are the fair grounds of the Raquette valley and St. Regis valley agricultural societies. There are 42 stores, a bank, two large gang saw mills and planers, circular saw mills, two door, sash, and blind factories, an iron foundery, three machine shops, two manufactories of walnut and other mouldings, cutlery and edge-tool works, a flouring mill, two furniture factories, two planing, tonguing, and grooving works, a manufactory of carriages and farm wagons, one of agricultural implements, one of the " silver reed " organ, one of saws, chair and bedstead factories, a weekly newspaper, and six churches.
The village is the seat of one of the state normal schools, which has 14 teachers and more than 500 pupils. The building is of Potsdam sandstone, three stories high with Mansard roof, and cost about $100,000.
Potsdam, a town of Prussia, in Brandenburg, on the Havel, which here forms a small lake, 17 m. S. W. of Berlin; pop. in 1871, 43,784. It is beautifully situated, with a great variety of fine scenery. In its royal palace, begun in 1660, the rooms occupied by Frederick the Great are preserved in the same state in which he left them. His favorite residence, Sans-Souci, is near the town. It is a long low building erected in 1745-7, and contains the apartments occupied by the king and Voltaire, as well as Frederick's clock, which was stopped at the instant of his death. Another palace in the same grounds was built after the seven years' war; and at no great distance is the beautiful villa of Charlottenhof, built in the Italian style. Other royal residences in the neighborhood of Potsdam are the marble palace, and the villa on Peacock island in the Havel. Potsdam is the capital of an administrative district of the same name. Cotton, lace, silk, linen, woollen, leather, porcelain, chemical substances, and firearms are manufactured.
Royal Palace, Potsdam.