Saint Andrews, a city and parish of Fife-shire, Scotland, on the North sea, between the mouths of the friths of Forth and Tay, 31 m. N. E. of Edinburgh; pop. of the city in 1871, 6,316. It is the seat of the university of St. Andrews, founded in 1411, and comprising St. Leonard's and St. Salvator's colleges (now united) and St. Mary's divinity college. The library of the united colleges has about 100,000 volumes. The university is the oldest in Scotland. The Madras school, the chief object of which is the gratuitous instruction of poor pupils, was founded by Dr. Andrew Bell.
Saint Andrews, a port of entry and the capital of Charlotte co., New Brunswick, on a low narrow peninsula between Passamaquoddy bay and the mouth of the St. Croix river, at the S. terminus of the New Brunswick and Canada railroad, 65 m. S. S. W. of Fredericton; pop. in 1871, 2,961. The situation is convenient for commerce and the fisheries. The harbor is entered by two passes from the mouth of the St. Croix, and admits vessels of any size. The lumber trade and ship building are the chief industries. The value of imports for the year ending June 30, 1874, was $107,065; of exports, $66,798.