A S. E. Parish Of Louisiana, bounded N. by Lake Pontchartrain, and intersected by the Mississippi river; area, about 340 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,867, of whom 3,963 were colored. There are several lakes and bayous on its borders; the surface is generally level and the soil fertile in the higher parts. It is intersected by Morgan's Louisiana and Texas railroad, and the New Orleans, Mobile, and Texas railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 129,564 bushels of Indian corn, 32,-767 of sweet potatoes, 2,238,200 lbs. of rice, 207 bales of cotton, 3,914 hogsheads of sugar, and 247,120 gallons of molasses. There were 527 horses, 1,287 mules and asses, 258 sheep, and 505 swine; and 21 molasses and sugar establishments. Capital, St. Charles.
An E. County Of Missouri, bounded N. and N. E. by the Mississippi river and S. E. by the Missouri, and drained by Cuivre river and several creeks; area, about 480 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 21,304, of whom 1,922 were colored. The surface is varied, occupied in part by a range of highlands, and the soil fertile. There are extensive coal mines. It is traversed by the St. Louis, Kansas City, and Northern railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 760,980 bushels of wheat, 968,161 of Indian corn, 278,235 of oats, 16,143 of barley, 97,623 of potatoes, 6,382 tons of hay, 146,754 lbs. of tobacco, 41,003 of wool, 158,268 of butter, and 5,704 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 5,788 horses, 1,815 mules and asses, 4,863 milch cows, 7,146 other cattle, 10,527 sheep, and 31,393 swine; 6 manufactories of brick, 18 of carriages and wagons, 2 of furniture, 1 woollen mill, and 9 flour mills. Capital, St. Charles.
Saint Charles, a city and the county seat of St. Charles co., Missouri, on the left or N. bank of the Missouri river, and on the St. Louis, Kansas City, and Northern railroad, 22 m. N. W. of St. Louis; pop. in 1850, 1,498; in 1860, 3,239; in 1870, 5,570, of whom 434 were colored; in 1875, about 7,500. The river is here crossed by a magnificent iron bridge for railroad and ordinary travel, completed in 1871 at a cost of $1,750,000. There are seven river spans, and the entire length, including the viaduct approaches, is 6,535 ft. The city is lighted with gas and has a good fire department. The trade is considerable, and the manufactures are of some importance, the principal establishments being a foundery and machine shop, six flouring mills, two woollen mills, a furniture factory, a car factory, a starch factory, two tobacco factories, a broom factory, a plough factory, and five cooper shops. There are a national bank, two savings banks, a mutual fire insurance company, and a pork-packing establishment. Besides three public schools and several parochial schools of different denominations, the principal educational institutions are St. Charles college, the Lindenwood female college, and the convent of the Sacred Heart (female). St. Charles college was organized in 1836 and chartered in 1838, and is under the control of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. It was closed during the civil war, but has since been maintained as a high school.
Four weekly newspapers (two German) and a monthly periodical are published. There are 11 churches, viz.: Baptist, Episcopal, Evangelical Protestant, German Evangelical, German Evangelical Lutheran, German Methodist, Methodist Episcopal, South, Presbyterian (2), and Roman Catholic (2). - St. Charles is one of the oldest settlements in Missouri, a post having been established here under Spanish authority by Louis Blanchette in 1769. It was incorporated as a town in 1809 and as a city in 1849.