See Pontine Marshes.
See Ponce de Leon.
Ponce Denis Ecouchard Lebrun, a French poet, born in Paris, Aug. 11, 1729, died there, Aug. 31, 1807. He was brought up in the family of the prince de Conti, and as early as his 12th year he began to write verses. His early life was not fortunate, his wife, a beautiful woman, celebrated in many of his poems under the name of "Fanny," having procured a legal separation after a stormy union of 14 years, and his little property having been dissipated by the insolvency of the prince de Guemenee. He avenged himself on his enemies by stinging epigrams and passionate lyrics. Upon the appointment of Calonne as comptroller general of finance, he received a pension of 2,000 li-vres, and his muse was energetically employed in celebrating the virtues of the king; and after the downfall of the monarchy he sang the praises of the republic. He subsequently ingratiated himself with the first consul, and received a pension of 6,000 francs.
See Water Lilies.
Pont-I-Mousson, a town of France, in the department of Meurthe-et-Moselle (before 1871 in that of Meurthe), on the left bank of the Moselle, here spanned by a stone bridge, 16 m. N. N. W. of Nancy; pop. in 1872, 8,211. The town has large cavalry barracks, and trades in grain, wine, coal, and timber. Beet sugar, pottery, woollens, and other goods are manufactured. From 1572 till the latter part of the 18th century it had a university. - The bulk of the second German army under Prince Frederick Charles crossed the Moselle at Pont-d Mousson Aug. 14, 1870, and the king arrived two days later. Extensive lazarettos existed here during the war. The Germans evacuated the place Aug. 2, 1873.
Ponta Delgada, a town on the S. side of the island of St. Michael (Sao Miguel), one of the Azores, in lat. 37° 40' N., Ion. 25° 36'W.; pop. in 1863, 15,885. It is tolerably well built and substantial, and is defended on the sea side by the castle of Sao Braz, and about 3 m. E. by the forts of Sao Pedro and Rosto de Cao. The harbor is so shallow that vessels require to be loaded outside by means of lighters. Wheat, maize, and oranges are the chief exports.
Pontchartrain, a salt-water lake in the S. E. part of Louisiana, so called in honor of Count Pontchartrain, a minister of Louis XIV. The lake is about 40 m. long from E. to W., and 24 m. wide from N. to S. It is connected with Lake Borgne on the east by the Rigolets, a narrow winding strait, and with Lake Mau-repas on the west by the bayou Manchac. Its S. shore borders on New Orleans; and the bayou St. John, a small tributary, extends into that city. The lake is nowhere more than about 20 ft. deep, yet through it is carried on most of the coasting trade between New Orleans and the eastern gulf ports. Steamboats and small vessels pass from the lake to the heart of the city through two canals, each terminating in an artificial basin. The northern shores of the lake are more elevated than the southern, and afford sites for country seats and summer resorts. Among these are the villages of Madisonville and Mandeville.