Samuel Barron, an American naval officer, brother of the preceding, born in Hampton, Va., about 1763, died Oct. 29, 1810. In 1798 he commanded the brig Augusta, which was prepared by the citizens of Norfolk to resist the aggressions of the French. During the war with Tripoli he took a conspicuous position, and in 1805 commanded a squadron of 10 vessels, his flag ship being the President, 44. The bashaw of Tripoli was Yusuf Caramalli, a usurper, who had deposed his brother Hamet. Mr. Eaton, the consul at Tunis, was apprised that it might be of great service to secure the cooperation of Hamet in the war against his brother. Commodore Barron received permission to follow this policy, and accordingly sent three vessels of the squadron, the Hornet, Argus, and Nautilus, with Mr. Eaton and Hamet, which captured the town of Derne on the Tripolitan coast, April 27, 1805. Eaton now pressed Com. Barron for further supplies and reinforcements against Tripoli, but they were denied on the ground that Hamet Caramalli ought to be able to effect his object by means of the ordinary cooperation of the squadron. Com. Barron was perhaps influenced in this decision by other considerations.

Capt. Bainbridge, with his officers and men, were at this time held in rigorous captivity in Tripoli, and it was well known that the reigning bashaw had threatened a bloody retaliation. Com. Barron soon afterward relinquished his command to Capt. John Rodgers in consequence of extreme ill health, and returned to the United States. He was considered an excellent officer, and died much respected just as he had been appointed to the command of the navy yard at Gosport, Va.

Samuel Barron #1

Samuel Barron, an American naval officer, born in Virginia. He entered the U. S. navy as midshipman in 1812. He was attached to the Brandywine when she conveyed Gen. Lafayette to France in 1825; was promoted to be lieutenant in 1827, commander in 1847, and captain in 1855. At the breaking out of the civil war he was appointed chief of the bureau of detail in the navy department. He had already accepted a commission in the confederate navy, and soon went south, and was placed in charge of the naval defences of North Carolina and Virginia, with the rank of flag officer. He was at Hatteras inlet at the time of the attack upon Forts Clark and Hatteras by Flag Officer Stringham, Aug. 28, 1861, and by request of the officers commanding the forts assumed the general direction of the defence. After the surrender he was sent to New York, and remained a prisoner of war until exchanged in 1862. During the remainder of the war he was in England, engaged in fitting out blockade-runners and privateers. After the close of the war he returned to Virginia and engaged in farming.