Vineland, a post village of Cumberland co., New Jersey, on the West Jersey and New Jersey Southern railroads, 34 m. S. of Philadelphia and 115 m. S. S. W. of New York; pop. in 1875, about 2,300. It is regularly laid out on a plot a mile square. The principal avenues are 100 ft. wide, the others 60 ft., and all are bordered with double rows of shade trees. The dwellings are handsome, and are surrounded by flower gardens, vineyards, and orchards. Many of the stores are of brick. The bank building and the new hot.el are fine structures. There are several commodious public halls, the largest accommodating 1,000 persons. The making of shoes, the chief branch of manufacture, employs eight establishments. There are five schools, two daily and four weekly newspapers, two monthly periodicals, and eight churches. The village is situated in a tract of 48 sq. m. purchased by Charles K. Landis in 1861, when it contained about 25 inhabitants. The whole tract is laid out similarly to the village, and is divided into fruit farms of from 5 to 25 acres each. It lies chiefly in the township of Landis, Cumberland co., but extends into Buena Vista, Atlantic co., and Franklin, Gloucester co.
Besides Vineland it contains four post villages, viz.: Forest Grove, Landisville, North Vineland, and South Vineland. The population in 1870 was 7,079, and in 1875 about 10,500. There are 18 school houses, with about 1,000 pupils, and 12 churches. The cliniate is mild and healthful. Poultry raising is extensively carried on, and considerable wine is made, but fruit raising is the chief business. Large quantities of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, pears, and grapes are sold. The sale of intoxicating liquors is prohibited by vote of the people.