Wexford, a N. W. county of Michigan, drained by the Manistee river and its tributaries; area, 625 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 650; in 1874, 3,011. The surface is diversified by prairie and woodland, and is interspersed with several small lakes, the principal of which are the Otisgo lakes in the S. E. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,806 bushels of wheat, 2,585 of Indian corn, 8,190 of potatoes, and 242 tons of hay. There were 44 horses, 77 milch cows, 148 other cattle, and 53 swine. Capital, Sherman.
A S. E. County Of Ireland, in the province of Leinster, bordering on Wicklow, St. George's channel, Waterford, Kilkenny, and Oarlow; area, 896 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 132,506. The N. E. part of the coast is low, faced by sand banks, and has no harbors, but the S. E. and S. shores are indented by several bays and havens. The surface rises toward the N. W. and becomes mountainous, but the S. E. portion is level. The chief rivers are the Slaney, with its tributaries the Derry and Bann, and the Barrow. The soil is mostly clayey and not very fertile. Oats, wheat, barley, and potatoes are the principal crops; dairy farming is carried on to a considerable extent. Woollen cloths and coarse linens are manufactured. The chief town, besides the capital, is New Ross.
A Seaport Town, capital of the county, 72 m. S. by W. of Dublin, on the S. bank of the Slaney, at its entrance into Wexford harbor; pop. in 1871, 12,077. It has a Roman Catholic college and a museum of natural history. The manufacture of malt is carried on, likewise the herring, oyster, and salmon fisheries. The number of vessels entering the port in 1873 was 705, tonnage 62,883; cleared, 363, tonnage 38,020; vessels registered in 1873, 97, tonnage 7,927. Four newspapers were published in 1874.