See Nuevo Leon.
New Madrid, a S. E. county of Missouri, bordering on the Mississippi river, by which it is separated from Kentucky and Tennessee, and intersected by White river; area, 880 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 6,357, of whom 1,425 were colored. The surface is low and level, and in some places very productive. The remarkable earthquakes of 1811-'12 (see Earthquake, vol. vi., p..'301) severely injured this region, leaving a large portion of the land, now known as the " sunk country," under water. Various efforts have been made to reclaim the land. The county is intersected by the Cairo and Fulton railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 3,990 bushels of wheat, 717,495 of Indian com. and 2,875 of oats. There were 1,150 horses, 1,031 mules and asses, 1,744 milch cows, 099 working oxen, 2,004 other cattle, 465 sheep, and 13.172 swine. Capital, New Madrid.
New Milford, a town of Litchfield co., Connecticut, on the Housatonic river and railroad, 40 m. W. by S. of Hartford; pop. in 1870, 3,586. The principal village, on the left bank of the river, is neatly laid out with wide and well shaded streets, has a handsome common, and is supplied with pure water. It has a national bank, a savings bank, a weekly newspaper, a court room for the sessions of the district court, four churches, and about 25 stores. It is the centre of the tobacco trade of the entire valley, and has 10 warehouses; it also contains manufactories of paper, buttons, and woollen cloths.
See Caroline Islands.
New Providence, one of the Bahama islands, near the centre of the group, and containing Nassau, the seat of government; pop. about 9,000. It is 17 m. long from E. to W., and 7 m. broad. It was colonized by the English in 1629, and twice taken from them by the Spaniards, but finally restored at the peace of 1783. It is more hilly than most of the other islands of the group, has some fertile land, and produces good fruits.
New Rent, a S. E. county of Virginia, bounded N. E. by the Pamunkey river, and S. W. by the Chickahominy; area, about 200 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,381, of whom 2,361 were colored. Its surface is moderately uneven, and the soil light and sandy. The Richmond, York River, and Chesapeake railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 20,719 bushels of wheat, 92,676 of Indian corn, 19,959 of oats, 8,600 lbs. of tobacco, and 5,122 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 358 horses, 661 milch cows, 399 sheep, and 3,078 swine. Capital, New Kent Court House.
New Ross, a parliamentary borough of Ireland, partly in Wexford and partly in Kilkenny county, on the Barrow, 2 m. below its junction with the Nore, 73 m. S. S. W. of Dublin; pop. in 1871, 6,738. The river, which admits vessels of 600 tons to discharge at the quay at all times of the tide, and those of 800 at high springs, is crossed by an iron bridge, with a draw. The town has a fever hospital, dispensary and lying-in hospital, union workhouse, and barracks. Above and below the town is an important salmon fishery, in which more than 800 men are employed.