Newaygo, a W. county of the southern peninsula of Michigan, watered by the Muskegon, Marquette, and other streams; area, about 875 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,294. The soil is fertile. The surface is nearly level and mostly covered with forests of pine, sugar maple, etc. The county is traversed by the Big Rapids branch of the Chicago and Michigan Lake Shore railroad, and by the Grand Rapids, Newaygo, and Lake Shore line. The chief productions in 1870 were 37,438 bushels of wheat, 10,385 of rye, 42,378 of Indian corn, 25,999 of oats, 66,746 of potatoes, 5,877 tons of hay, 8,726 lbs. of wool, 109,064 of butter, and 46,298 of maple sugar. There were 784 horses, 1,007 milch cows. 2,084 other cattle, 2,940 sheep, and 1,997 swine; 2 flour mills, and 11 saw mills. Capital, Newaygo.
Newberry, a N. central county of South Carolina, bounded N. in part by the Ennoree and Tiger rivers, E. by the Broad, and S. by the Saluda; area, 010 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 20,775, of whom 13,318 were colored. The surface is rolling, and the soil fertile, especially near the streams. It is traversed by the Greenville and Columbia and the Laurens railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 41,914 bushels of wheat, 152,232 of Indian corn, 27,701 of oats, 14,072 of sweet potatoes, and 9,830 bales of cotton. There were 1,259 horses, 1,754 mules and asses, 2,379 milch cows, 3,109 other cattle, 2,801 sheep, and 0,967 swine. There were 9 manufacturing establishments. Capital, Newberry Court House.
Newcastle-Mder-Lyme, a municipal and parliamentary borough and market town of Staffordshire, England, near the right bank of the Trent, 140 m. N. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 15,948. It is well built, paved, and lighted with gas. The principal public edifices are the churches, town hall, literary and scientific institute, theatre, free grammar school (founded in 1602), and a range of almshouses for 20 poor females. It has manufactories of hats, paper, shoes, silks, cotton, and earthenware; coal and iron are mined in the vicinity.
See Dog, vol. vi., p. 180.
Newry, a parliamentary borough and river port of Ireland, on the borders of the counties of Down and Armagh, on the Newry water and canal and the Dublin and Belfast junction railway, 34 m. S. W. of Belfast, and 57 m. N. of Dublin; pop. in 1871, 14,181. There are two Boman Catholic churches, one of which is the cathedral of St. Patrick, Dromore, two convents, and several Protestant churches. The chief manufactures are linen, cotton, iron, beer, and cordage; and there are numerous mills, distilleries, and potteries. Extensive water works have recently been erected. The town exports large quantities of butter, grain, and cattle. Its principal trade is with Liverpool and Glasgow, but it has also some foreign commerce. The river, which is here crossed by four stone bridges, admits vessels of 600 tons to the town and of 1,000 tons 6 m. below. The imports in 1872 were valued at £368,835, and the exports at £20,180.