York River, a river of E. Virginia, formed by the union of the Mattapony and Pamunkey at West Point, at the S. E. extremity of King Wilham co.. It flows S. E. 40 m., and falls into Chesapeake bay about 15 m. N. of the mouth of the James river. It is so broad from West Point downward as to present almost the appearance of a bay. At its mouth it is about 3 m. across, and in some places it is still wider. It is navigable to its head.
Young, a N. W. county of Texas, intersected by the Brazos river; area, 900 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 135, of whom 4 were colored. The surface is undulating and diversified by prairie and woodland, and the soil is fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 1,700 bushels of Indian corn. There were 88 horses, 14,236 cattle, and 740 swine. Capital, Graham.
Ypres (Flem. And Ger. Yperri), a city of Belgium, in the province of West Flanders, on the Yperte, 30 m. S. W. of Bruges; pop. in 1871, 16,317. The surrounding marshes have been drained, and the fortress has been razed. It has a Gothic town house, formerly a cloth hall (lea halles), with a stately belfry tower, and 44 modern statues of counts of Flanders; many churches, including a fine Gothic cathedral, with the adjoining grave of Jansenius, who died here; and the national school of cavalry and several colleges. Of the manufactures, which employed thousands of looms in the 14th century, when the inhabitants numbered 200,000, those of woollens and linen (diapre d'Ypres), thread, and thread lace are still of some importance.
Ypsilanti, a city of Washtenaw co., Michigan, on the Huron river and on the Michigan Central and the Detroit, Hillsdale, and Southwestern railroads, 30 m. W. by S. of Detroit; pop. in 1860, 3,955; in 1870, 5,471; in 1874, 5,211. It is surrounded by a productive farming region, and has considerable trade. The river furnishes water power. There are several flouring mills, four large paper mills, a woollen mill, and several wagon and carriage factories. There are a national bank, a union school, several ward schools, a seminary, two weekly newspapers, and eight churches. The state normal school is situated here. Ypsilanti was incorporated in 1858.
Yuba, a N. E. county of California, bounded S. by Bear river and W. by Feather river, and intersected by • Yuba river, a tributary of the latter; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 10,851, of whom 2,337 were Chinese. The N. E. portion lies in the foot hills and lower slopes of the Sierra Nevada; the rest of the county is occupied by the extensive and fertile valleys of the streams. There is some mining. It is traversed by the Oregon division of the Central Pacific railroad and by the California Northern railroad. The chief productions in 1870 were 147,347 bushels of wheat, 33,245 of Indian corn, 27,867 of oats, 270,271 of barley, 9,256 of potatoes, 76,743 gallons of wine, 30,060 lbs. of hops, 63,425 of wool, 100,695 of butter, and 14,081 tons of hay. There were 3,194 horses, 2,909 milch cows, 5,794 other cattle, 12,540 sheep, and 13,947 swine. Capital, Marysville.