See Alaska, vol. i., p. 240.
Yuma, the S. W. county of Arizona, bounded S. by Mexico, separated from California and Lower California on the west by the Colorado river, and intersected by the Gila; area, about 10,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,621. The valley of the Colorado is from 2 to 10 m. wide; that of the Gila from 1 to 3 m. These valleys, with irrigation, are very productive. The rest of the county consists mostly of high table lands, with frequent broken mountains, and is generally destitute of water. A part of the year these table lands are covered with grass. The climate in summer is very hot and dry; in winter it is mild and healthful. Gold, silver, copper, and lead are found in lodes near the Colorado, and there are extensive deposits of copper along the S. border. Capital, Yuma.
Yverden, Or Yverdon (Anc. Eorodunum; Ger. Ifferteri), a town of Switzerland, in the canton of Vaud, beautifully situated at the S. W. end of Lake Neufchâtel, at the mouth of the Thiele, 17 m. N. of Lausanne; pop. in 1870, 5,889. It has fine promenades, a gymnasium, a school for deaf mutes, and a library with Roman antiquities. The palace, built in 1135 by Duke Conrad of Zahringen, and enlarged in 1260 by Peter of Savoy, was occupied by Pestalozzi for his institute from 1805 to 1825. Felice founded here a great printing and publishing establishment, issuing among other works an Encyclopedic in 48 vols. 4to. (See Felice, Fortunato Bartolommeo.) - The place was a fortified town under the Romans, and was much more important in the middle ages than now.
Zacapa, a town of Guatemala, in the department of Chiquimula, about 60 m. E. K E. of New Guatemala, and 30 m. S. W. of the Atlantic port of Izabal; pop. about 8,000. It is situated in the centre of a plain, on the right bank of the Rio Copan, 5 m. S. of its mouth in the Motagua, and 10 m. K of the town of Chiquimula, the capital of the department. Coffee is extensively cultivated in the vicinity.
Zachary Boyd, a Scottish divine, died in Glasgow about 1653. He studied in Scotland and France, became professor at Saumur, and after his return home on account of the persecutions of the Protestants, he was pastor of the parish church and thrice rector of the university of Glasgow. He wrote many works, chiefly polemical, among which is " The Last Battell of the Soule in Death " (2 vols., Edinburgh, 1629; new ed., with his biography by Gabriel Neil, Glasgow, 1831). He also wrote the metrical paraphrase of the Scriptures popularly called "Zachary Boyd's Bible," bequeathed, with many other manuscripts and a large sum of money, to the university of Glasgow, in whose library it remains in MS.
See Cobalt, vol. iv., p. 767.
Zagazig, a town of Lower Egypt, capital of the province of Sharkieh, about 75 m. N. W. of Suez, with which it is connected by rail; pop. estimated in 1876 at 40,000, including many English and other foreign merchants. The cotton from the E. part of the delta of the Nile is mostly cleaned and sorted here. The commercial importance of the town has greatly increased since the construction of the freshwater canal, which connects it with Ismailia and Suez. Near it are the ruins of the ancient city of Bubastis. (See Bubastis).