Canada A S. W. County Of Nova Scotia, bordering on the Atlantic ocean, and intersected by Tusket river; area, 736 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 18,550, of whom 11,707 were of English, 4,852 of French, 1,004 of Irish, and 603 of Scotch origin or descent.
The coast is deeply indented, and the surface is extremely diversified with mountains, rivers, and lakes. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in fishing.
A Port Of Entry And The Capital Of The County, on a bay on the S. W. coast of the province, 140 m. S. W. of Halifax; pop. in 1871, 5,335. It is in the midst of a fertile and well cultivated country. Ship building and fishing are largely engaged in. The value of imports for the year ending June 30,1874, was $645,779; of exports, $272,277. Yarmouth contains many fine buildings, several hotels and banks, and manufactories of iron castings, machinery, and wooden ware. Two weekly newspapers are published. The Western Counties railroad, now building (1876), is to connect the town with Annapolis.
Yarmouth, a municipal borough and seaport in the county of Norfolk, England, at the mouth of the Yare, 19 m. E. of Norwich; pop. in 1871, 41,792. It lies on both sides of the river, which is crossed by a drawbridge. The main part of the borough, known as Great Yarmouth, occupies a narrow peninsula about 1 m. long and ½ m. wide, between the sea on the east and the Yare on the west, on which side is a fine quay about 1 m. long. Great Yarmouth contains the guildhall, the town hall, the church of St. Nicholas, founded in the reign of William Rufus, a monument to Nelson 144 ft. high, and a theatre. It has about 40 churches, of which about one fourth belong to the church of England. Little Yarmouth, on the W. shore of the Yare, consisting mainly of private residences, and the village of Gorlestone on the south toward the entrance to the harbor, were annexed to the borough by the reform act of 1832. The harbor, built and maintained at great expense and defended by coast batteries, is accessible to vessels of 200 tons. In 1873, 1,342 British vessels of 147,720 tons, and 134 foreign vessels of 20,180 tons, entered the port.
The exports were valued at £109,320. Yarmouth is the principal seat of the herring fishery of England. Ship building is carried on, and crapes and other silk goods are manufactured. - The site of Yarmouth was formerly the bed of an estuary, and became solid ground in the beginning of the 11th century. The mouth of the river has since 1350 been diverted about 4 m. to the south. In the reign of Edward I. a wall 6,720 ft. long, with 10 gates and 16 towers, was built around three sides of the town.