Aulas Cornelius Celsis

Aulas Cornelius Celsis, a Roman author, who lived probably during the reigns of Augustus and Tiberius. He wrote a kind of cyclopaedia, De Artibus, containing a series of treatises on rhetoric, history, philosophy, jurisprudence, war, agriculture, and medicine, of which, he-sides some fragments, only De Medicina is still extant. This work is in eight books. He makes known in it the system of Hippocrates, following besides Asclepiades and the Alexandrians. The first two books treat of diet and the general principles of therapeutics and pathology; the others of particular diseases and their treatment, as well as of surgery. Of its numerous editions, those by Fortius (Florence, 1478), Milligan (Edinburgh, 1826), and Hitter and Olbers (Cologne, 1835)), are the best.


Aulis, in ancient geography, a town of Hellas, in Boeotia, situated on the strait of Euripus, which separates Boeotia and Euboea; it had a temple of Diana. Here Agamemnon assembled his fleet preparatory to crossing the AEgean sea to Troy, and here his daughter Iphigenia was presented as a sacrifice to Diana. In the time of Pausanias only a few potters inhabited it.


Aurich, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hanover, capital of an administrative division of the same name, and formerly capital of the principality of East Friesland, 60 m. N. W. of Bremen; pop. in 1871, 4,261. It has a castle which was formerly the residence of the prince of East Friesland, a college (gymnasium), and a normal school.


Aurifaber, the Latinized name of Johann Goldsciimied, or Goldschmidt, one of the companions of Luther, born near Mansfeld in 1519, died at Erfurt in 1579. He studied at Wittenberg, and became Luther's amanuensis in 1545. In the Smalcaldic war he was chaplain to a Saxon regiment, and in 1551 court chaplain of the elector of Saxony, but he became involved in theological disputes and was removed in 1562. He collected the unpublished manuscripts of Luther, and was one of the collaborators of the Jena edition of the reformer's works. He edited the Epistoloe, Lu-theri and the "Table Talk." In 1566 he became pastor at Erfurt.


Auriol, a French borough in the department of Bouches-du-Rh6ne, 16 m. N. E. of Marseilles; pop. in 1866, 5,182. It has manufactories of flags, and near it are coal mines.


Aurllac, a town of southern France, capital of the department of Cantal, in a valley on the Jourdanne, here spanned by a fine bridge, about 60 m. S. by W. of Clermont; pop. in 1866, 10,998. It is well built, with wide streets, kept clean by the overflowing of a large reservoir, into which two fountains discharge. The old buildings include the castle of St. Stephen, the church of St. Geraud, the church of Notre Dame of the 13th century, and the college, which contains a valuable library and a cabinet of mineralogy. The manufactures are copper utensils, jewelry, woollen stuffs, blondes, laces, and paper. - Aurillac was founded in the 9th century. The wall formerly surrounding it has been destroyed. The town suffered much in the wars of the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries.