Cispadane Republic, a republican state organized in Italy by Bonaparte after the battle of Lodi, in 1796. It consisted of Modena, Reg-gio, Ferrara, and Bologna, being separated from the Transpadane republic by the Po (Padus), from which it derived its name. In 1797 the Cispadane was merged in the Cisalpine republic.
Citeaux, a hamlet of France, in the department of Cote d'Or, on the Vouge, 14 m. N. E. of Beaune, once celebrated on account of its abbey, the chief house of the Cistercian order. The abbey buildings, a great part of which still exist, were magnificent. They have been converted into a reformatory, religious, and industrial penitentiary for juvenile offenders, which is under the care of priests, sisters of charity, and lay brothers. An agricultural college is connected with it, and the institution produces excellent butter and other articles of trade, and is nearly self-supporting. The surrounding country, mostly belonging to the convent, was greatly indebted to the management of the abbots for the superiority of its wines. The vineyard in which the celebrated Clos-Vougeot is raised was formerly part of the property belonging to the abbey.
Cithaeron (now Elatia), a range of mountains in Greece, separating Bceotia from Megaris and Attica. It is said to have derived its name from an early king of Plataea, who was an adviser of Jupiter in one of his angry dissensions with Juno. Hence the summit was sacred to Jupiter, and the festival of the Dsedala, in honor of his reconciliation with his spouse, was celebrated upon it. Cithseron was also sacred to Bacchus, and the scene of his mystic rites. It was here that Actceon was changed into a stag and chased by his own hounds, that Pentheus was torn to pieces by the Bacchantes upon whose orgies he was stealing a look, and that the infant (Edipus suffered his exposure. Cithaeron was covered with a forest which abounded in game. The Cithaeronian lion, slain by Alcathous, was famed in mythology.
Citta Vecchia, Or Citta Notabile, a city of Malta, situated on high ground almost in the centre of the island, 6 m. W. of Valetta; pop. about 7,000. It contains a fine Roman Catholic cathedral and other churches, vast catacombs, several convents, an episcopal seminary, and an ancient palace of the grand masters of the order of St. John. Previous to the foundation of Valetta, in the latter part of the 16th century, it was the capital of Malta, under its old Arabic name of Medina (the city), and it continues to be the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop. It has lost all strategical importance, though it is walled. Some authorities regard it as identical with the town of Melita mentioned by ancient geographers. Others state that St. Paul, after having been shipwrecked on his journey to Koine, took refuge during three months in a grotto underneath the ancient church, on the site of the present cathedral.