Dinapore, a town of Bengal, India, on the S. bank of the Ganges, 10 m. N. W. of Patna and 300 N. W. of Calcutta; pop. about 16,000. It is an important military station, noted for its handsome and extensive cantonments, capable of containing 5,000 troops. Around the station are a great number of fine bungalows with small parks and gardens. The town, a confused assemblage of thatched huts and brick buildings seldom more than one story high, extends about a mile along the banks of the river. The native troops at Dinapore mutinied and gave much trouble in 1857.
Dinkelsbuhl, a town of Bavaria, on the right bank of the "Wernitz, 44 m. S. W. of Nuremberg; pop. in 1871, 5,213. It has several fine churches, an orphan asylum, and two hospitals. It suffered heavily during the thirty years' war, and is still declining; but it has considerable manufactures of woollen hosiery, linen, paper, hats, and stone slabs for tables, besides dyeworks, a brewery, and several mills. It was formerly a free city, but came into the possession of Bavaria in 1802. It is on three hills, and its ancient walls are still standing.
Dinosaurians, a tribe of fossil saurians, of immense size, having many mammalian characters, such as a medullary cavity in the long bones, short, pachyderm-like feet, a sacrum of five united vertebras, and a lateral motion of the lower jaw. They include the iguanodon, megalosaurus, etc, herbivorous and carnivorous; they are of the mesozoic age, from the middle of the Jurassic to the middle of the cretaceous epochs.
Dinwiddie, a S. E. county of Virginia, bounded N. by the Appomattox river, and S. W. by the Nottoway; area, 540 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 30,702, of whom 17,664 were colored. It has a rolling surface and a soil well adapted to grain and tobacco. The Atlantic, Mississippi, and Ohio, and the Petersburg and Wel-don railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 39,869 bushels of wheat, 170,712 of Indian corn, 57,079 of oats, 1,232 tons of hay, and 844,504 lbs. of tobacco. There were 993 horses, 1,626 milch cows, 1,861 other cattle, and 5,127 swine; 6 flour mills, 3 saw mills, 1 distillery, 17 manufactories of tobacco, 2 of agricultural implements, 8 of carriages and wagons, 4 of cotton goods, 1 of fertilizers, 2 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, and 1 of paper. The largest town is Petersburg. Capital, Dinwiddie Court House.
Dion Cassius. See Dion Cassius.
Dionigi Carli, an Italian missionary, born in Reggio, died after 1680. He was sent in 1666 to Congo by the propaganda, with Michel An-gelo Guattini and 14 other Capuchin friars. After resisting for some time the severity of the climate, he was obliged to return to Europe. He wrote an account of his travels, which was translated into French, English, and German. The English translation was published in Churchill's and Pinkerton's collections.